Better at Guitar?

vahn

Reaction score
So I started playing music about a year and 3 months ago after a solid year of mastering Guitar Hero. Guitar completely replaced the game as my daily 4 hour past time and about 6 months later I discovered the uke - it seemed to be the perfect fit as it was guitar like but guitar hero controller sized.. Of course as is natural Uke moved to the forefront and guitar to the back (not to mention the bass and drums), I would usually only play guitar long enough to figure out a tab I was trying to transpose to uke..

Fast forward 9 months or so, and I'm in a band now, playing uke. I play only in a few songs and sometimes I'm more or less playing the rhythm acoustic parts and a couple of neat uke highlights. But my buddy (the bandleader and guitarist) asked me if I could get my strat going (or as I called it my electric long scale baritone uke- I had it strung with the DGBE strings:D) incase of string breaks or whatnot for shows, to have a backup guitar.

So after slappin a new set of strings on my electric (all 6 of them) I started jamming out on guitar for a while and, while it took a half hour or so to get used to the spacing, I'm kind of awesome at guitar!! I think I'm better than I was before I more or less stopped playing altogether for uke. Part of it is I am sure because I know loads more theory now, because of how much I transpose stuff to uke. I'm sure my timing is 400-500% better now from practicing with other musicians and a drummer. But a lot of it has got to come from how good I've gotten at uke.

Have any of you guys ever experienced this, that playing uke and almost no guitar can somehow make you better at guitar?

Yeah, I kind of find that playing anything else (including uke) gives me something I can bring to guitar.

I really noticed it when I took about 5 months of bass lessons, pretty much ignoring the guitar at the time, then being asked to sit in on guitar. My changes were better, my phrasing was better, and my chord inversion choices were better. I think playing ukulele gave me a better touch.

...then again, I tend to think more in terms of what the rest of it contributes to my ukulele playing; that's a happier thought nowadays. :D

I have played both ukulele and guitar for over forty years. I find that they both influence the other. My guitar playing has always been solid. I learned both really fast, but over all, I'd say that my ukulele playing is better than my guitar playing. My friends and family don't notice, I play them both so frequently.

One thing I do play better on guitar, though, is lead. If you know the song, "Lay Down Sally", for example, I would never attempt to play that lead on a uke. It is so well suited to my Stratacoustic (wouldn't play it on the Martin, either).

Having played guitar over 40 years and the ukulele for only two years, I find like Mickey, that the instruments are complimentary. Both bring new ideas to carry over to the other. All my ukuleles are sopranos and most of my guitars are full scale. I don't even think about the fingering from one to the other. It just "happens". Ric

For me, I find playing uke warms up my fingers really well for playing tricky and fast riffs on the guitar.
I'm still a billion times better on guitar than uke though

Top Bottom