Kamoa vs KPK/Melokia

ive read a heap of threads on these ukes actually theres one just bellow this but the all seem to be the same but im guessing your chaseing a solid wood instrament cheap how come u dont consider the kala acacia there made from the same material but with the kala trusted name

You two should battle it out in a "less-is-more vs. punctuation-is-useless" rumble. That would be great to watch.

Really, that covers my thoughts, comments and suggestions. Great stuff guys! :nana:

OK, OK, so there are no misunderstandings: what do you want to compare, what did you find out yourself, do you like one over the other already, please be more informative if you expect solid advice. And why would you compare these two and not Kala, Lanikai, Ohana, Mainland, Bushman, and what other budget brands there are?

Last edited:
You two should battle it out in a "less-is-more vs. punctuation-is-useless" rumble. That would be great to watch.
what are you on about u goo bat

well the reason i picked the two is because they seem to be the best bang for your buck to me..i have read all the threads on the KPK/melokia ukes and they seem to be real positive. Also the Kamoa ukes seem to come back real positive as well. So i was just wondering if someone had both and could tell me there opinion. The Kala is about $100 dollars more than the others.

The Kamoas are (thin) mahogany laminate. The KPKs are solid acacia. Both sound awesome for the price. I'd go with the Kamoa, only because the KPKs have been reported to crack more often than most others.

All things else being equal I'll take a solid body or solid top 'ukulele over a laminate top 'ukulele any day of the week though where I live I don't need to worry about humidity or cracking. My KPK still going strong after 6 months.
In MGM's blind 'ukulele test I didn't I.D. all the solid body versus solid top 'ukuleles but did I.D. all the laminate top ones, they just didn't sound as loud and clear to my ears.

I bought a Melokia before I knew anything about it's supposed relation to KPK. Mine is a kind of "super" concert. At first I thought it might be a tenor since I had to stretch a little near the nut. But then I compared a similar one with the tenor which is much larger.

I like the Melokia, athough I have not yet seen or played a Kamoa. I like the mother-of-pearl inlay of the brand name, which is NOT on all models of the Melokia. Even though the inlay may be a bit shoddy, it's still mother-of-pearl and as such, somewhat classy.

The Kamoa does sound intriguing since UU has chosen to sell them. I'm sure if UU could wing some kind of UU "branding" on the headstock, we'd all want one as a quasi official UU uke!

Top Bottom