why do they laugh when i told em i got a new uke

keithy351

Reaction score
g'day, well ive been telling my family that im getting a new uke "i live alone" and the only response i get is being called nerd, dork and looser and laughed at, same with mates, whats the way to get it through there head that its not a joke, playing something full on for them maybe?? argh why are people ignarant

g'day, well ive been telling my family that im getting a new uke "i live alone" and the only response i get is being called nerd, dork and looser and laughed at, same with mates, whats the way to get it through there head that its not a joke, playing something full on for them maybe?? argh why are people ignarant

You tell them to watch this video (and then to shut the h*ll up).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSoBBsgFPw

It's a perception thing. Most people think ukulele, they think Don Ho and Tiny Tim.
(No disrespect to either of them, both very talented, but neither give the impression that the uke is a powerful and complex instrument that can be brought to any musical setting.)

Last edited:
You tell them you play because you enjoy it.

Playing uke is no sillier than knitting or owning a cat. People can joke if they want, but there is such a thing as over-doing it.

If it upsets you that they laugh, tell them- and if they don't get it... Well, they arn't very nice people.

I feel for you, though. It sucks that it's your family doing the laughing.

~Valerie

A lot of folks I know treat it as a joke, including my family. It's nice that a few friends are happy that ukes make me happy, but really when I pick up a ukulele the last thing on my mind is anyone else's opinion. :)

I got called the other day, since my new Uke Obsession, "Ukeboy".

However, before they never called me GuitarBoy, MandoBoy, BassBoy, BanjoBoy, Mr.KnowMoreAboutMusicThanYouBoy, Mr.ThereAreSoManyBeautiflTypesOfMusic2AppreciateBoy, GoodFolkMusicisGoodFolkMusicBoy,ect.

I think it's a super classy, serious instrument with a beautiful history and culture. What can I say, I appreciate the finer things in life.

thanks everybody, im glad im not the only one, i think its also they have never heard me play, and ive been away for over a year now for uni and am gonna see them at the end of the year, so i reckon when i go back they will get a big saprise, espically i think cause i was always a meat head, and never expected to play an instrament is also the thing, not to mention that as other peoples think the only people they can relate ukes to are stupid people playing a $20 ukulele acting like an idiot, ahhhh when will they start to take us ukulele players seriously :rolleyes:

The only person who doesn't seem to take it seriously is my dad, which is very unlike him.

"Just think, if you'd spent all this time practicing a guitar, you'd be pretty good."

riiight
btw, I practice about 30mins-1hr a day, for 3 weeks now :)

The only person who doesn't seem to take it seriously is my dad, which is very unlike him.

"Just think, if you'd spent all this time practicing a guitar, you'd be pretty good."

riiight
btw, I practice about 30mins-1hr a day, for 3 weeks now :)

Yeah, have your mom tell your dad he's being an insensitive lout.

But seriously, and I mean this in all earnestness:

He won't take it seriously until he understands the uke is a serious instrument, which he doesn't because of the preconceived notion that it isn't. Educate the man.

ps. I'm not serious about the "shut the h*ll up" part. That's not likely to sway anyone to your cause!

A lot of folks I know treat it as a joke, including my family. It's nice that a few friends are happy that ukes make me happy, but really when I pick up a ukulele the last thing on my mind is anyone else's opinion. :)

Right on!!! The last thing on my mind is what other people think!!! Hell I put out the money and it makes me happy. IMO if they bought a very expensive car, and you made fun of it they would get very upset. Not too much difference.:music:

What's their address! ;)

I get the “guitar too tough?” jabs in the ribs now and then from my friends and I just say, “yup!”

But for the most part, everyone loves to hear me play it (and I’m not even good!). A lot say it’s very soothing sounding especially when I bring it to the beach.

Also great way to sway people: Let them play your uke!

I brought one to work last summer, and a lot of people laughed- But I left it in the break room and by the end of the day, people were asking where they could get one.

WE NEED A UKULELE AWARENESS WEEK, we are being mistreated and not taken serious, who's the union rep of this site, come on pull ya fingure out get this thing crankin :rolleyes:

I just went down to our shipping/receiving manager and told him that today is new uke day. He knows what I mean. He jokes about it and teases me, but I always just smile when he walks in and shouts at the top of his lungs, "Hey Jon - your new UKULELE is here!"

Of course, later in the day when he's in his office with a bunch of GUYS drinking coffee I'll walk in and shout, "Hey Jim - I think you left your latest PLAYGIRL in the bathroom stall again..."

People don't get the uke until they really hear the uke - I show them the Jake/Gently Weeps video and that usually backs them down.

Why should take a video of Jake or George Formby shredding on a uke to legitimize it as a "serious" instrument?

Is there some rule that an instrument is a complete joke unless someone can play something really complicated and impressive on it?

If no one ever came up with that sort of virtuoso playing, and the height of ukulele was nothing more than simple strumming, would you still play it?

I would.

JJ

Why should take a video of Jake or George Formby shredding on a uke to legitimize it as a "serious" instrument?

Is there some rule that an instrument is a complete joke unless someone can play something really complicated and impressive on it?

If no one ever came up with that sort of virtuoso playing, and the height of ukulele was nothing more than simple strumming, would you still play it?

I would.

JJ

what i actually enjoy is if i have someone come over whos never heard a uke, well a serious uke, and play something it usually has the ability to put a massive smile on there dile and melt the ladies ;), and when i get around to the stubben people, first song im gonna play is going to be crosscurrent, wipe that smart alick smile off there face and turn it into a face of shock and aw :eek:

Yeah, have your mom tell your dad he's being an insensitive lout.

But seriously, and I mean this in all earnestness:

He won't take it seriously until he understands the uke is a serious instrument, which he doesn't because of the preconceived notion that it isn't. Educate the man.

ps. I'm not serious about the "shut the h*ll up" part. That's not likely to sway anyone to your cause!

He's not so much insensitive as he thinks it's "silly"

When I got mine, he told me about his late uncle who had a uke, and played silly songs on it. That's just the perception he has.

Oh, and my younger brother has had a guitar for 1 or 2 years, yeah I'm better at uk'in than he his on his guitar. Or pretty close :p

Hang in there and keep playing.

For me, one thing I like about playing the uke is that a lot of people don't "get it". Another thing I like about this instrument is the lack of "bravado" that seems to infect much of the guitar playing world. I played guitar as a kid but it never inspired me like the uke does and now that I am older I don't care if others think it is a toy.

I do have a lot of people tell me they think it is super cool and they have always wanted to play. I handed my vintage Martin to the ten year old daughter of a friend who was visiting my house the other night and a few minutes later she was strumming away at four chords asking her mom if she can have a ukulele for her birthday!

Somehow, western culture adopted the guitar as the instrument of choice if one wants to be cool. That's fine, the guitar is a great instrument but it is not for everyone. Seems to me like all this lack of respect for the uke is just culture and expectations.

Play your uke and people will come around when they see you love it. If they don't, then you should buy another uke to sooth your sorrows!

Top Bottom