Eleuke Pineapple Tenor - How good is it?

Apfelkuch3n

Reaction score
Aloha guys,

my birthday is not far away and I'm thinking about giving myself a Uke as a present :D
I'd love to play anytime I want to, that's why I'm thinking about an Eleuke. But I'm not sure if they're good. I own a Big Island Ukes Traditional Tenor and I love it, but I'm not sure if I'd like the Eleukes sound. But I think 139 € (ca. 204 $) aren't that bad.

Mayhaps one of you can help me (pictures, soundsamples, reviews, opinions etc.), I'm looking forward to your answers :)

Mahalo,
Lou

haha those look neat but probably sound identical to their other eleukes... not bad, sound like little jazz ukes or something good for funky stuff harder to get it to actually sound like a "uke" not bad it's my backup for shows but unless you are doing a lot of distortion stuff or you can't play ukulele quietly enough for ur mate at night then its not a "necessity"

I believe there are video/sound samples from the manufacturer. They won't have an acoustic sound, but if you need somthing quiet for practice, this will probably do it. However, if you practice in public, better be prepared to answer the obvious question, "What's that?" "What does it sound like?" "Can I try it?"

I have a soprano mahogany unit with jacks for both amplification and headphones. And I must say I do like the looks of the pineapple model.

I hope you can get it and give us a true review.

I own a Tenor Pineapple Eleuke. I have to say I love it. Not only does it look cool it sounds awsome. I see alot of people on line saying it doesn't sound like a uke but I disagree. It's all in how you play it. Plug in to a clean sounding amp( I have a fender Blues Junior tube amp) Strum softly and it has a lovely sound. I heard some other models of Eleuke on other sites and I must say I think the Pineapple version sounds nicer than the ones that look like guitars. What's great about the eleuke is that it has a headphone jack that fits mp3 player headphones so you can play loud to yourself while everyone is asleep. It also has an imput jack so you can plug your mp3 player right into the uke and play along. Also has 3/4 inch jack for standard guitar chord. Perfect intonation, stays in tune, comfortable to hold and reasonably priced. Why not get one. They're great.

Last edited:
@Ukelaylow: Thank you for your post. I haven't bought one yet, but I'm still thinking about it :)

Mahalo,
Lou

I've owned a tenor for about six months, and I spend an hour or two every day playing it. It's good for 2:00 AM playing when you really can't make much noise at all. There are piezzo pickups which are good and bad. They've got a nice sound, but they need a 9-volt battery, which quickly goes dead if you leave the 1/4" cable in the ukulele when you're not playing it.

Basically, the eluke is fun if you have a lot of effects from playing the electric guitar. I love mine.

I don't own one but they look cool!

question to those who own one...the cover for the battery on the back...how well made is it? Is it made out of cheap plastic that will break or is it a good qaulity cover? Because I would hate to throw down 200 bucks and have the battery cover on the back break.

Great for playing rock music. They have surprisingly more sustain and work better with effects pedals and amps.
If you are looking for an amplified "acoustic" sound, I would not recommend one though.
My brother has one and it is a blast to mess around with.

I bought my concert pineapple Eleuke a couple of months ago and enjoy it a lot. It is fun to plug in my iPod and play along quietly to the songs.

The pickup is sensitive and amplified the sounds of my fingernail hitting the strings so I use a lighter touch. It came with Aquila strings, which to my ear, were too harsh sounding so I put Martin 600s on it and I like the sound better. I've noticed a hiss comes through the headphone/earbud jack. The action is fine and the intonation accurate.

@mjmeltzer:
Here's what the back looks like. The plastic battery cover is of a good quality and fits tightly.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/gillyflower54/eleukeback.jpg

One thing I'd like to add is that it's very easy to play. Gillian, thanks for the suggestion about the Martin 600s. I'm about ready to change strings, and I didn't really care for the strings that came with it.

I bought a pineapple eleuke tenor and I don't like it. I've had it about a month and have played it about 15 minutes and haven't touched it since. I bought it for quiet play but it doesn't feel good holding it nor do I like the sound plugged in. It takes the fun out of playing ukulele. If I had to do all over again I wouldn't buy it. This is just my opinion on it and others may feel differently about it. If you still want one after my thoughts on them then I would gladly sell you mine. I paid $200 shipped with case. Make me an offer I don't like it.

Just a quick update. I tried putting strimgs for an electric guitar on mine and I like the results. I plugged it into my Zoom G9.2tt, and rocked out on it.

does the wood that the body is made out of actually affect the sound of the uke like an acoustic soundboard?

does the wood that the body is made out of actually affect the sound of the uke like an acoustic soundboard?

I'd be inclined to answer, "not much," because we don't see much variation in wood design on electric guitars. I'm sure someome has made a koa electric at some point but the extra money would be better spent on better pickups, strings orother improvements.

I'd be inclined to answer, "not much," because we don't see much variation in wood design on electric guitars. I'm sure someome has made a koa electric at some point but the extra money would be better spent on better pickups, strings orother improvements.

i thought not.....

I bought a pineapple eleuke tenor and I don't like it. I've had it about a month and have played it about 15 minutes and haven't touched it since. I bought it for quiet play but it doesn't feel good holding it nor do I like the sound plugged in. It takes the fun out of playing ukulele. If I had to do all over again I wouldn't buy it. This is just my opinion on it and others may feel differently about it.

Yup, I feel differently. I have the concert size, and I love it. For many reasons. I can practice while I sit on the couch with my wife as she watches tv and it doesn't bother her in the least. I think it looks great, and it plays like a dream. Mine was set up ny mim, so it it has perfect action, and it's super fun to play. Plus I love how easy it is to record through my computer. Just hook a regular 3.5mm cable from the headphone jack to the input jack on my MacBook, and bam, perfect recordings.

And with its looks, it's a great novelty piece. I pulled it out at a party we threw a couple weeks ago, plugged it into my honeytone amo, and people went wild. No one expects a solid body electric uke, in the first lace, but one that actually sounds good? They're blown away.

It's not my go to uke, because, as everyone has mentioned, it's no good acoustically, being a solid body. But as a practice device, and a gigging uke? Absolutely!

Top Bottom