Which tenor... Mainland Mahogany vs Kala Acacia?

EucalyptusMint

Reaction score
My third "which ukulele" thread, sorry... My budget has gone up from the $170 I had before to up to $300 (case included)!!
So I'm torn between the mainland and the kala (ka-asac-t)for around the same price. Can I get your thoughts on how the two compare?

Thank you

I've never played either of these two, but have read alot about them here. I can honestly say I'd think it is a toss-up. You can't go wrong either way.

The Kala is very popular right now, as it's new and has that slotted headstock. Very attractive, great reviews.

The Mainland is equally as popular. I've yet to see a negative comment about a Mainland uke. Also very attractive with it's characteristic rope binding....

Tell you what. Buy them both, and then send me the one you think you can live without. Then we'll both be happy! :D

My third "which ukulele" thread, sorry... My budget has gone up from the $170 I had before to up to $300 (case included)!!
So I'm torn between the mainland and the kala (ka-asac-t)for around the same price. Can I get your thoughts on how the two compare?

Thank you

Not to confuse the issue even more, but the Hamano H-100T is also roughly in that price range. It's solid mahogany, with a bone nut and saddle, and I *think* they are Japanese-made (which is usually a good thing!)

Check it!

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/H100T.htm

Happy hunting!

Ahh it looks beautiful, but $330 is kind of pushing it :(

What is the difference between the KA-ACAT-T and the KA-ASAC-T? The ACAT-T is going for $350 at MGM's store, while the ASAC-T is priced at $270..

Can't comment on the Acacia, haven't played it.

The Mainland however, amazing. I have a Mainland tenor, and he's my workhorse. Even named him Epona (Zelda fans say woot woot). Sounds absolutely amazing. Take it to every gig. Intonation is spot on all the way up the neck. Come stock with Aquila, I recommend a change to a more mellow string to really bring out this uke's vibes.

Mainland for the winnn.

As much as I love Mainlands...(serious uke crush)! I have played Acacia ukes for a while now and I really like the rich sound of them. These new Kala's are awesome, and very...very shweeeet! :drool:

kala acacia all the way i reckon, they sound awsome

I have a mainland mahogany and I wouldnt trade it for anything in the world. I love it. It was crafted expertly, and even now is showing signs of getting better with age. You cant find a better uke for the price. The ONLY thing that is "wrong" with it is that the action is a little too high for my liking, but even then that is a preference thing, not an actual problem. I got mine, with no blemishes whatsoever. Get the mainland nao.

Can't comment on the Acacia, haven't played it.

The Mainland however, amazing. I have a Mainland tenor, and he's my workhorse. Even named him Epona (Zelda fans say woot woot). Sounds absolutely amazing. Take it to every gig. Intonation is spot on all the way up the neck. Come stock with Aquila, I recommend a change to a more mellow string to really bring out this uke's vibes.

Mainland for the winnn.

woot and woot.

I have the Kala Acacia and I love it. I've been playing this one a lot since I got it. Sounds and looks great with all the inlay and binding and of course the slotted headstock!
:)

Happy with my Kala Acacia. with some worth browns, tusq nut/saddle, lower action and a strap, let alone that sexy open headstock...worth it! Love it!

The Kalas are all too heavily built for my taste, with a somewhat muted sound as a result. But the two ukes you're talking about are kinda apples and oranges with the two different wood types, so it's hard for us to tell you what you'd like better.

Last edited:
Check out the reviews section.

In particular, look at Thejumpingflea's video review of the Kala acacia. I believe I recall him saying that it was loud.

This is exactly what I expected to happen, I'm more and more wanting both ukes :D

I'm looking for a warmer, fuller, rounder, etc. sound. I say warmer but with clarity of tone. Not really sure how to describe it.
Which is better for this kind of sound?

I watched thejumpingflea's review and the kala sounds beautiful. I haven't been able to find a mainland video with decent quality though.
Thanks so much for all the responses so far :)

I have an oscar schmidt solid mahogany concert with worth browns that I would say is far warmer than my kala but the clarity isn't there and the intonation up the neck isn't as accurate as the kala. I've never played or heard a mainland tenor with the same strings, so I can't really say if it will give you what you need. It's hard to live in areas that there are no dealers to go in and try it out as well! I wish I was closer to indiana and i'd have already worked with mainland, for sure, but I'm ever so impressed with Kala, as a company and their instrument quality! You can't really go wrong either way!

How is Elderly Instruments as a ukulele seller? Customer service is important to me, and there are tons of good reviews for Mainland, but I haven't heard anything about Elderly regarding ukulele sales
Anyone have experience there?

I've never dealt with Elderly, so I can't say. But I'm curious as to why you wouldn't just deal directly with Mike at Mainland?

Top Bottom