Uke noob! here I am

ainokeato

Reaction score
lol Hi guys (Mauiboi for those who were in Aldrine's blog tv thing) I'm relatively new to the Uke. I've been around it forever, never played it, I own a Lanikai Ckc <3. Anyways I've been playing, "roughly" for ten months now, and thanks to the video lessons from aldrine and the UU team, even Seeso. I've been able to play actual songs.

Now I use Tropical hawaiian storm for all the chords for the songs that I want to learn, then listen to the song and try to figure out some kind of strumming pattern that I wanna use. This is awesome and all, but some times it feels a little boring just playing chords or playing little pickings. I wanna mix it up and what not, but I don't really know how. Now Aldrine mentioned the DVD UU is selling, I want to get it, but I don't know how much it'd help me. So would anyone recommend that I get this or wait till later on?

Edit: Also, I didn't mean for this to be an introduction post :p but thank you everyone who has already, and may in the future welcome me to the site.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I have no knowledge of the disc, but welcome to UU. :)

I'm afraid I have no knowledge of the disc, but welcome to UU. :)

Lol thank you, it's in the store section of the site, I believe they're on tour starting tomorrow so it won't ship till 10/13/09. I looked what it contained, and since I learn whatever is taught to me, and I never took a music lesson in my life, I had no idea what most of that was describing to me (ahaha).

Welcome!!! :shaka:

lol Hi guys (Mauiboi for those who were in Aldrine's blog tv thing) I'm relatively new to the Uke. I've been around it forever, never played it, I own a Lanikai Ckc <3. Anyways I've been playing, "roughly" for ten months now, and thanks to the video lessons from aldrine and the UU team, even Seeso. I've been able to play actual songs.

Now I use Tropical hawaiian storm for all the chords for the songs that I want to learn, then listen to the song and try to figure out some kind of strumming pattern that I wanna use. This is awesome and all, but some times it feels a little boring just playing chords or playing little pickings. I wanna mix it up and what not, but I don't really know how. Now Aldrine mentioned the DVD UU is selling, I want to get it, but I don't know how much it'd help me. So would anyone recommend that I get this or wait till later on?

What's up Mauiboi. I was there. I'm was "DinoDude" on blog tonight. Anyway, I also welcome you to UU. Its a great place to hang out. I assume you live on Maui? I would say find some people who like to play ukulele too and just get together and jam. Print some sheets from Tropical Storm Hawaii (I moderate in the forums there) and play. Just be aware that not all of what is there on TSH is correct. Lots of people post things and any kind of thing. Its meant for Hawaiian music or related to Hawaiian Music.

Anyway, buying Aldrines DVD will help you learn to play and educate you, but I don't think it will help with your "boredome". Do you sing too? How about singing and playing? You also need to find other people interested in music and get together with them.

Short story...I started playing ukulele again about 3 years ago after not playing since I was in 6th grade. One day I saw a co-worker with some music sheets...mostly lyrics and asked him what he was doing. When I found out he played music and was doing gigs, that kicked it off. We started talking about music all day, I started buying ukes, and even though we are now not in the same office, we keep in touch frequently to see whats happening and if each other is playing. We're even considering putting together a small band. You see so finding others with musical interests is key.....IMO. Aloha, Dino

:cheers:

Best thing is to surround yourself as much as possible with folks who are passionate about music. Doesn't necessarily have to be 'uku, any instrument will do. Keep learning new things and experiment. If a chordbook says G, play an F#minor. Learn about clawhammer, parallel thirds, and always wear sunscreen (reapply after swimming). That's really all I know.

CHEERS!

The DVD isn't really made for beginners because it assumes you have all your chords and strumming down. You'll be able to learn a lot of stuff, but if you're just starting, I'd recommend going through all the lessons and uke minutes first.

That way you'll have a good solid foundation to build on.

I have just recently started playing the uke. Bought on while in Maui. I too print out shhet music from the inter net but the BEST time I have had playing was while in Maui. I stumbled upon a guy at a craft fair, I had my new uke in my hand and he asked me to join him and jam for a while! I told him I was just learning but I knew several chords. He said we will play and sing and he will tell me the chord to play. Well we jammed for close to an hour and I would have loved to play all day! I had to leave to catch a plane to Honolulu.
Anyway.....try to find someone to jam with you will love it!!!

What a great way to get started playing the uke.

Wonderful stories, no?

Top Bottom