PDA

View Full Version : Gut strings are kind of noisy.

JBennett
09-29-2009, 05:07 AM
I recently got a Martin S-O Uke. It was second hand and had a mystery set of black strings on it that were okay. There were frayed with little hairs of nylon and wouldn't intonate perfectly so I figured I'd try a set of highly recommended Aquila's or Worth's. So I put on the Aquila set. I got the "Gut" strings which have a VERY different feel than nylon stings. I wonder if they will break in. It's kind of a "swooshing" sound of my palm or my fingers moving along the strings length that I'm hearing.

They are king of loud to the touch. They sound beautiful when I play, but I can hear a lot more of my right hand on the strings. They seem to have a lot more texture than nylons. So, have others here used these natural gut strings? Do they quiet down after some use? They do sound nice and they stay in tune much better than the old mystery strings.

They also have a funny smell. Kind of like new leather. Very subtle, but it's there. How do the Nyl-gut strings compare to the natural gut stings from aquila. I guess I'll order a set and try them out sometime down the line.

cocohonk
09-29-2009, 05:40 AM
I've never tried the real gut Aquilas before - so I know nothing :D - but with the nylguts I had the same 'swooshing' sound too at first. I'm not sure how, but it goes away(or decreases) with use. I don't hear the swoosh noise now with the same strings.

JBennett
09-29-2009, 06:25 AM
Yeah, I just read a quote on another forum while looking this issue up. A harp player uses Gut strings and said that rubbing them down with a bit of olive oil helped quiet the strings. I might try that if it bugs me after a few days of playing on them. Overall I'm happy with the sound of the strings. Great tone and stability.

Other comments said that nylguts and guts are notoriously loud and that Worth's are best for recording to avoid finger noise.

I'm new to the uke so I'm just having fun trying different strings out and trying to find my favorites.

itsme
09-29-2009, 06:53 AM
Wilfried Welti made a video comparing the following strings that might be of interest to you. Frankly, they all sound good when he's playing them. :)

Galli
Aquila Genuine Gut
Worth Brown Medium
Uke24 Excellence
Aquila Nylgut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=DE&hl=de&v=DSgV6POe9nI

Matt Clara
09-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Wilfried Welti made a video comparing the following strings that might be of interest to you. Frankly, they all sound good when he's playing them. :)

Galli
Aquila Genuine Gut
Worth Brown Medium
Uke24 Excellence
Aquila Nylgut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=DE&hl=de&v=DSgV6POe9nI

Very helpful video. I like the galli, and the fact that his hair grew an inch in 8 minutes.

update: dam nit all, galli make guitar strings, and they have to be tuned ADF#B--are the fingerings the same that way???

redsedge
09-29-2009, 10:43 AM
I put gut strings on my La Foley - 1920's British uke - because I wanted to recreate how it would have sounded when first around. I persevered for a few months, but didn't like them because they seemed to be too much like skin. They wanted to stick to my fingers and worst of all to me, they started to shed. Strings with dandruff that wanted to bond with my fingers put me right off. I changed to nylgut, which sound perfect and don't make me feel sorry for them.