Ukes at the library

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
I went to the library today, and checked out one of their new copies of the Jumpin' Jim Camp Songbook. Much to my surprise, as I was checking the book out, the clerk asked me, "Would you like to check out a ukulele with that, too?"!

Sure enough, our local public library has brand new Mahalo soprano ukes to loan! I guess they were donated last spring by a local music shop that wanted to offer kids' uke classes at the library....hence the books and the ukes. I sure hope the first uke classes last spring were a success....

Now if they only had Kanilea's! :drool:

seriously??? what an awesome idea...they oughta get em donated to the local school's library and have music class hosted in the library to support both music and reading.

Seriously! I don't know how many of the ukes they have, but the computer says they have ten of the books....

Now that I've got myself thinking about loaner ukes, doesn't it sound like a great idea? I've been wondering for months whether I might like a tenor-sized uke next.... if there were loaners, I could just borrow a tenor for a couple of weeks, make up my mind, and return it....then go shopping!

I went to the library today, and checked out one of their new copies of the Jumpin' Jim Camp Songbook. Much to my surprise, as I was checking the book out, the clerk asked me, "Would you like to check out a ukulele with that, too?"!

Sure enough, our local public library has brand new Mahalo soprano ukes to loan! I guess they were donated last spring by a local music shop that wanted to offer kids' uke classes at the library....hence the books and the ukes. I sure hope the first uke classes last spring were a success....

Now if they only had Kanilea's! :drool:
That is fantastic! What a wonderful library!

"if there were loaners, I could just borrow a tenor for a couple of weeks, make up my mind, and return it....then go shopping!"

This is what uke clubs and friends are for, among other things. I was a "soprano only" person, but wanted to try the larger versions. A friend lent me a tenor, then a baritone. They are not for me. It helped me decide without parting with any cash.

Ukes in a library is a great idea, but I hope they have been checked over to ensure that they play properly. A badly set-up starter uke can discourage a person for life.

Ukantor.

"if there were loaners, I could just borrow a tenor for a couple of weeks, make up my mind, and return it....then go shopping!"

This is what uke clubs and friends are for, among other things. I was a "soprano only" person, but wanted to try the larger versions. A friend lent me a tenor, then a baritone. They are not for me. It helped me decide without parting with any cash.

Ukes in a library is a great idea, but I hope they have been checked over to ensure that they play properly. A badly set-up starter uke can discourage a person for life.

Ukantor.

Agreed! I wish I had a uke club or some local uke friends....no such luck here. :(

WOW! Thats awesome! I'm going to contact my local Library about the possibility of a ukulele class! :)

This is what uke clubs and friends are for, among other things. I was a "soprano only" person, but wanted to try the larger versions. A friend lent me a tenor, then a baritone. They are not for me. It helped me decide without parting with any cash. Ukantor.

If anybody wants to lend me a tenor for two weeks, I'll gladly pay the postage both ways!

Oh my god, can I steal your library? That is so awesome! My library has a few uke books, but no ukuleles. :/

Top Bottom