A little story about my Kamaka Uke

ed531

Reaction score
My first uke was a Kamaka concert, I bought it about 7 years ago when I was in Hawaii. I can honestly say that I rarely ever played it during those 7 years.

This year in May I went to Hawaii again and I bought a Kanilea Tenor. 5 months later, I've been playing nearly 4 times a week.

So why didn't I play the Kamaka, I've had it for 7 years ?

I think it's because, to me, the tenor was a much better size. 7 years ago all I knew about ukes was everyone played a Kamaka. This year, I did my research and took my time shopping for a uke and the Tenor Kanilea was best for me.

So what should I do with the Kamaka if I don't use it ?

Unfortunately, I can't see myself selling it because it is sentimental to me. I just wish I would have bought a Tenor Kamaka 7 years ago.

Could you imagine how much better I'd be playing a uke if I had the dedication I have now 7 years ago ?

Ukelele001.jpg

Last edited:
I personally much prefer the Soprano, and concert size 'ukuleles rarely touching my tenor. I grew up with a soprano Kamaka pineapple in the house and anything bigger just doesn't feel right especially a tenor. To each his own. ;)

I have only a tenor. I was in Hawaii and initially though I would get a concert and tried several but they just did not feel right in my hands a bit too small. As soon as I had the first tenor in my hands I knew that was the right size for me. It is not that my talent is good (still learning) but I am big with large hands and I like the little extra bit of room.
You just have to go and play all of the sizes and see listen to what your hands tell you!!!

I like all my ukes. I’m playing my Kamaka tenor most because ... well it’s a Kamaka tenor. I like the spritely sound that comes out of my KoAloha concert and to me, that’s the most comfortable uke because of its concert size and light weight. My impression is that Cordoba doesn’t get much lovin’ in the uke community but the sound that comes out of my 25CK concert is one I really like. Then there’s the daily driver Lanikai soprano that I take with me to the beach and everywhere else. It’s no Kamaka but even in my newbian hands, people love to hear that uke – it put my friend’s wife to sleep at the beach over the weekend!

if you ever want to sell your kamaka concert let me know... :D
i need a new concert. to go along with my "coming soon" tenor >.<

I think you should let me hold your Kamaka concert for awhile. You can decide after five years if you really need it in your life or not. Feel free to contact me at that time and I'll send it out to you if you decide to keep it. If not, I'll waive my storage fee and we can call it even.:)

PS: I also have room for the Pono.

You'll find love for that concert, you just mark my words! I love my tenors, but find myself picking up my concert fluke a lot because it's the uke I leave out or take to the beach! Give it a chance, let her sing, you'll fall in love.

I notice that your concert has some non-factory tuners on it. (Geared tuners rather than friction tuners) That's pretty cool.

But, hey, you know what you were doing when you weren't playing the uke? Shredding on the Custom 24s, and Strats, and Les Pauls that you've got...which is almost as cool as playing uke. ;)

I think it's because, to me, the tenor was a much better size.

I am the same way, I can't stand my concert and am just dying for Pete to finish my tenor Uklectic and it to be in my hands. I'll play a soprano and greatly enjoy that as well, there is just something about the concert that I despise, I feel that it can't decide on what it wants to be. If that makes sense. It shouldn't.

I am the same way, I can't stand my concert and am just dying for Pete to finish my tenor Uklectic and it to be in my hands. I'll play a soprano and greatly enjoy that as well, there is just something about the concert that I despise, I feel that it can't decide on what it wants to be. If that makes sense. It shouldn't.

Some role confusion perhaps? Here in the islands we call that mahu ;)

I think I'm just the type of person that once something is comfortable to me I'll focus on making that thing work as much as I could.

Maybe it's being stubborn, sometimes I think that attitude stops me from being more creative. There isn't a song that I can't play on a concert uke that I play better on a tenor uke. But I just like playing the tenor.

Ukes are just one of those instruments that you can't find everywhere. And unfortunately, if someone is meant for a tenor... but if they try a tenor they don't like at some non music store, it stays on their mind that they don't like all tenors. Mind you I'm talking about folks new to ukes.

I'm babbling but I'm thinking I should really try to dedicate myself to just using the concert and be creative...

Top Bottom