Different types of ukulele

csullivan

Reaction score
I have a soprano uke. I know that a concert is the next size up. Then tenor. Is a tenor uke tuned differently? I am new at ukes but I like the sound of a guitar and heard that tenors are the closest to a guitar with sound and size. I know that baritones are tuned differently just wondering about tenors.

Tenors are tuned the same as the others GCEA. I have a low G on mine which gives it a little different sound.

Baritones are usually tuned dgbe. I guess they would be the closest to the Guitar sound you are looking for, but I still think that it has a nice Uke flavor that I love.

Baritones are usually tuned dgbe. I guess they would be the closest to the Guitar sound you are looking for, but I still think that it has a nice Uke flavor that I love.

Are the chords played the same way on a baritone?

Since the tuning on a baritone is different, the chords will be different also. But the good news is that the strings have the same tonal relationship with one another, therefore your chord shapes are the same.

Making a G chord on the bari is like making a C on the uke.
Making a C chord on the bari is like making an F on the uke. etc.

I am new at ukes but I like the sound of a guitar and heard that tenors are the closest to a guitar with sound and size.

Maybe this is a silly question, but... why not just get a guitar? Maybe a nylon-string one, so you'll still have that uke-ish playability.

JJ

Or you could get a tenor guitar -- a little (well, about the size of a baritone uke) 4-string guy that's usually tuned in 5ths like a banjo. However, many players have tuned it in 4ths like a guitar or uke. But unlike a uke, a tenor guitar has steel strings.

I love the sound of a guitar -- but not the way it's usually played. Too many players ignore the treble strings, instead bashing out a mass of mid range notes. Old jazz/swing players really knew how to exploit the trebles beautifully. Just my opinion. But that's one reason I love ukes -- and having only 4 strings. You can get more from less.

Or you could get a tenor guitar -- a little (well, about the size of a baritone uke) 4-string guy that's usually tuned in 5ths like a banjo. However, many players have tuned it in 4ths like a guitar or uke. But unlike a uke, a tenor guitar has steel strings.

I love the sound of a guitar -- but not the way it's usually played. Too many players ignore the treble strings, instead bashing out a mass of mid range notes. Old jazz/swing players really knew how to exploit the trebles beautifully. Just my opinion. But that's one reason I love ukes -- and having only 4 strings. You can get more from less.

Hmmm... maybe THAT'S why I like Steve Cropper so much. For the most part he could have used a Telecaster with only the four treble strings.

You have options. I've learned from experience that there's nothing like actually putting your hands on an instrument and trying before buying - even if in the end it costs a little more than some mail order special deal. Find some place(s) that has a baritone uke and a tenor uke and a tenor guitar - heck, why not a tenor banjo (I just got a vintage 1-fret model)? - and see what sounds best and feels best.

Top Bottom