PONO really? take a look

MGM

Reaction score
Kitakis gave me a gift of the new ponos coming out....There are changing and moving their production and this is one of the first for a sneak look

20090929_9570_edited-1.jpg

20090929_9569_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Where are they moving the production? I knew when I bought the closeout PSS from you and from some of the new descriptions on the Ko'olau website that they must be making major changes...this is real niiiiice!

it looks likes its from the kala lanikai factory

Pro-Classic Series:

1. Rosewood Pro-Classic Series: Rosewood back and sides, cedar top. Ebony binding, faceplate, fingerboard, and bridge. Abalone rosette, pearl logo and fingerboard dots. Bone nut and saddle. Gloss finish.

- RT Tenor

- RTC-E Tenor with cutaway and pickup

- RTSH Tenor Slothead

- RTSH-5 Tenor Slothead with abalone purfling

I'm thinking this is the RTSH-5 model?

I'm wondering what the spruce and maple model looks like myself.

Last edited:
Nice! Out of all the Pono Tenors, I like the sound of the cedar tops, very open and louder than the koa and mango models. Wonder what the retail is on this one, no price out yet on Koolaus website. If the non slots are around $900 with pickup, my guess these will be close to if not over $1000 retail.

Geez over $1,000 for a Pono? What is this world coming too?

Hey Uluapoundr, did you see that custom uke with the Ulua on it?

http://web.me.com/syacavone/Site/Kyle_Iwamoto_Ukulele_%28%E5%B2%A9%E6%9C%AC%E3%83%BB%E3%82%A6%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AC%E3%83%AC%E3%83%BB2%29.html#1

Yup, saw that uke. I put an ulua sticker on my Fluke, that works as my fishing uke and hopefully some sweet playing will bring in the big uluas ;). I was gonna have Chuck Moore do an ulua theme ukulele, I know he would of knocked it out of the park.

There was a time when any playable koa tenor ukulele was at least $500 and local customs were $1200. Today, a somewhat playable import can be had for under $300 and a nice custom $2000. When it comes down to it though, it's really hard to compare apples to oranges.

$1000 for a South East Asia made 'ukulele?
I know a few local Hawaii luthiers who'll make me a Koa custom for less. :rolleyes:

its funny how a thread can turn into a discussion noone knows about. as it was stated the website has no prices....yet we are having a discussion about 1000 import ukes? back to what i can do i will be able to post sound sample tomorrow

for $1K why on earth would u get a pono??

I played one of the madagascar ebony spruce top with maple binding Ponos yesterday over at ukerepublics. It originally listed for close to 900 I think. Great sounding and I was tempted to buy but I got kids to think about first.

nice... would love some more info too!

hey mike, you going to carry a baritone with cedar top? my uas is ticking...

k

Pro-Classic Series:

1. Rosewood Pro-Classic Series: Rosewood back and sides, cedar top. Ebony binding, faceplate, fingerboard, and bridge. Abalone rosette, pearl logo and fingerboard dots. Bone nut and saddle. Gloss finish.

- RT Tenor

- RTC-E Tenor with cutaway and pickup

- RTSH Tenor Slothead

- RTSH-5 Tenor Slothead with abalone purfling

I'm thinking this is the RTSH-5 model?

I'm wondering what the spruce and maple model looks like myself.

Prices posted on Koolau:

RTSH-5 $979.95

As Ahnko so eloquently said . . . $1 Grand for a Pono? For that amount, I would think a custom makes more sense.

Show me a quality builder that will make a custom to your specs with nice woods, bindings, ebony board and slotted headstock for $1000.

MGM said "its funny how a thread can turn into a discussion no one knows about."

Welcome to UU!!

Top Bottom