Need Songs for Middle School Ukers

franulele

Reaction score
Hi UUers!

I use the ukulele in my school music classes, and am looking for some fun songs to do with my middle schoolers (11-13 yrs old). They really like jamming along with a recording, so if you know of any tunes where that is possible, it would be great!

Song requirements:
1, Easy vocal part & range
2. Easy to play on the ukes- music class is 40 min per week & these ukes can't go home
3. Lyrics appropriate for school

Here's what we've done so far:
  • Love Potion #9 (they're awesome at this!)
  • Ring of Fire
  • I Can See Clearly Now

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Franulele

"Little grass shack", and "Hukilau" are fun pre WWII hapahaole songs easy to learn, and sing along to. ;)

How about...

- Build Me Up Buttercup (Foundations)
- If You Want to Sing Out (Cat Stevens)
- Blowin' In the Wind (Bob Dylan)

Just a couple of ideas.

Who doesn't like Three Little Birds by Bob Marley? And it's only three little chords!

man, pick songs they know from popular music somewhere. we all started cuz we wanted to play certain songs, and that kept us motivated. Getting a book and learning a song you dont know or care about has no appeal to me, and probably less to a middle schooler.

learn

Delilah - plain white t's
about anything Taylor Swift

check their ipods...ask the kids for suggestions on what they want to learn. Most songs are basic progression with moderate vocal range.

Great idea...let them take some ownership in it, I think you'll multiply the interest and it will pay dividends for long term love of music.

"The Lion Sleeps Tonight"?

It's so overdone, but "I'm Yours" is always a hit.

check their ipods...ask the kids for suggestions on what they want to learn. Most songs are basic progression with moderate vocal range.
Yeah ASK Them. That's how dem gott me into dis evil Ukulele thing back in 1976...
Seriously, sound their groove and adapt.

"Hey Ya" by OutKast is an easy one thats fun to play.

Thanks for the many wonderful song suggestions!

The big hits (so far) have been:
  • Ring of Fire (Cash)
  • Love Potion #9 (Searchers)
  • I'm Yours (Mraz)
  • 1 2 3 4 (Plain White Ts)
  • I Like It I Love It I Want More of It (McGraw)
  • Or Song (Swift)
  • Flying Purple People Eater

I have many more song requests yet to go through as well as some tunes of my choosing to help my students build skills. Eventually I'll post the collection for any Middle School teachers out there.

Top Bottom