Decisions Decisions

wockey

Reaction score
Hiya to all on UU. My first visit and,of course,I'm looking for help !!
A common thread I guess but here goes. Got myself an inexpensive Kala Soprano in the spring,learnt some chords and songs and have since neglected all my household duties just to play my Uke.
I want to upgrade and have decided (after visiting my local,not well stocked music store) to treat myself to a decent tenor uke. I have chosen two based on looks and listening on youtube. I'd have to travel some distance to play the HAMANO TENOR and the KALA ACACIA TENOR is an order only from the USA. Any tips would be appreciated. I think I should go for sound which would mean the Hamano. I did read somewhere that you should never buy unless you have actually played an instrument:confused: Regards

and the KALA ACACIA TENOR is an order only from the USA.

No it is not. Check out ukulele.de.
I recommend Kala Acacia. You can check it out on my youtube videos. You can also check jumpingflea's review of that uke.

If you have a little more money - I suggest you to buy a Makapili tenor :)

I'd go with the Kala. I love mine. Good sound and beautiful inlay and binding.

I did read somewhere that you should never buy unless you have actually played an instrument

Now you can read somewhere that that's nonsense. Of course it's nicer to be able to try out an instrument before you buy it, but stores selling good ukes are few and far between in most areas; it's impossible to follow that advice unless you're willing to travel a long way. Depending on your budget and circumstances you may or may not be able to do that.

Reputable sellers like MGM will let you return an instrument for a full refund within a few days if you don't like it. You have to pay shipping and obviously this is not as good as being able to try before buying, but at least it protects you against buying an instrument you're unhappy with. Then again, if you work with someone like MGM to choose a uke, you'll probably like it. Which is more than can be said for a cheap uke bought from the know-nothings at Guitar Center because it was the only one you could actually try first.

Option 3: Mainland Tenor! :D
http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/pr...4CBC75.qscstrfrnt03?productId=10&categoryId=3
1231084646276-639186083.jpg

Yo Hanu-Mon... love the new avatar.

Mahalo, That's my pet Sulcata on top my 1915 Kumalae. I've had 3 cats die on me even though living long lives (17 years for one 21 years for other 2) but decided my next pet will outlive me. ;) My Sulcata "Hamburger" will get to 200 pounds and supposedly live to 200 years. :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks for the guidance. I am still liking the Hamano sound over the Kala. Will probably take a daytrip to nearest stockist next month. In the mean time,I am on a fortnights holiday soon so may just seek out music shops in Munich & Salzburg............anybody conversant with their shopping malls ?? Take it easy

Hiya to all on UU. My first visit and,of course,I'm looking for help !!
A common thread I guess but here goes. Got myself an inexpensive Kala Soprano in the spring,learnt some chords and songs and have since neglected all my household duties just to play my Uke.
I want to upgrade and have decided (after visiting my local,not well stocked music store) to treat myself to a decent tenor uke. I have chosen two based on looks and listening on youtube. I'd have to travel some distance to play the HAMANO TENOR and the KALA ACACIA TENOR is an order only from the USA. Any tips would be appreciated. I think I should go for sound which would mean the Hamano. I did read somewhere that you should never buy unless you have actually played an instrument:confused: Regards

I have heard from people in more than one instance as being disappointed by the Hamano tenor's sound. So I wouldn't necessarily think that the Hamano has superior sound. I'd personally go with the Kala Acacia because I love slotted headstocks and I like tenors that's joined at the 14th fret for better access to the upper frets (Hamano is joined at the 12th fret). While I have never actually played the Kala Acacia, I'm willing to bet that it is at least the equal to the Hamano in terms of sound based on what I've seen online. So, my vote goes to the Kala Acacia.

Top Bottom