uke is going on a jet plane

geoffsuke

Reaction score
... and i don't know if i'll be able to bring it back again.

sup uu!!
thinking about taking my uke on holiday with me, going sailing in greece. for the past 6 years i've been going out, the thing i crave the most is having a uke with me to strum away the hours next to the campfire on a beach. just havn't been brave enough. the thought of getting to the check-in desk and they tell me i've got to check in my uke too is THE most awful thought EVER!!

well now i'm gonna give it a go, has anyone had any experience with airways- specifically in britain (i know there's a post before this about taking ukes on planes but it's so far back and says nothing about british airports) whether or not a musical instrument is allowed as handluggage even with the size regulations of hand baggage?

cheers
geoff

you should be OK to take it with you on the plane

I'm not sure what size/kind of uke you're planning on taking, but I recently took my FLEA overseas to Ireland, Spain and France.

I used it as my second carryon for the international flights on Delta.

In Europe, I only flew once, but that was on Ryanair from Ireland to France. Their policy is ONE carryon per passenger. So I stuffed my flea (and bag) into my backpack. Voila. ONE carryon.

Now I travel very light (1 backpack), but was able to travel for 2 weeks on planes, trains, and airplanes with no issues. Had all my friends over in Europe sign it too..

You can take your uke, highly recommended.

Here's my uke travelling story with some pix.
Cheers!
Skottoman
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15367

Not sure about the European airways, but i've gone international on over packed flights with my uke..It's a tenor so its about the size of an overhead. She did alright on US and even got put in the captains closet..It worked well except once a guy dropped it out of the overpacked overhead.

You're leaving soon, correct? Maybe no time to check out the Risa Soprano Solids. Wonderful carry-on uke but requires amplification for personal and performance uses. It's also a bit of an acquired taste since it has no headstock and the body (what body?) is skeletonized.

It is SOLID and very compact, an real eye-catcher due to its unique design.

I've only taken my ukes between the West Coast of the USA and Hawaii, so I do not have any International experience with uke-travel. Sorry about that, but I did want you to know about the Risa for future UAS and travel possibilitiesl.

Have a great time, and bring your songbook(s) and music stand.

... and i don't know if i'll be able to bring it back again.

sup uu!!
thinking about taking my uke on holiday with me, going sailing in greece. for the past 6 years i've been going out, the thing i crave the most is having a uke with me to strum away the hours next to the campfire on a beach. just havn't been brave enough. the thought of getting to the check-in desk and they tell me i've got to check in my uke too is THE most awful thought EVER!!

well now i'm gonna give it a go, has anyone had any experience with airways- specifically in britain (i know there's a post before this about taking ukes on planes but it's so far back and says nothing about british airports) whether or not a musical instrument is allowed as handluggage even with the size regulations of hand baggage?

cheers
geoff

I've flown with my uke from a number of UK airports like Newcastle and Heathrow, the uke as carry on has never been an issue! It's considered as a musical instrument and is fine in addition to your normal carry on.

I've carried my tenor in a good gig bag on five international flights (Australia) and many domestic flights and no problem.

I flew with my concert size in hard case on the plane, they never even batted an eye at me at the front desk or boarding! It fit easily in the overhead. No worries, it even came back with me just fine and I was really happy to have had it on my trip. makes the layovers in the airport just while away!! :)

You're leaving soon, correct? Maybe no time to check out the Risa Soprano Solids. Wonderful carry-on uke but requires amplification for personal and performance uses. It's also a bit of an acquired taste since it has no headstock and the body (what body?) is skeletonized.

It is SOLID and very compact, an real eye-catcher due to its unique design.

I've only taken my ukes between the West Coast of the USA and Hawaii, so I do not have any International experience with uke-travel. Sorry about that, but I did want you to know about the Risa for future UAS and travel possibilitiesl.

Have a great time, and bring your songbook(s) and music stand.

i have definately considered getting one of these, they look so cool. and i think it would be great to have a bit of difference in my collection. but yeah, i am leaving in the next few weeks so probs dont have time, rather take the tenor though.

sounds like it should be allright to take it which is always great.

I've been backpacking around europe and north america for the past 2 years, have taken my uke on all sorts of different airlines as carry on, with a small bag as well, and have had absolutly no problems at all, you should be fine.

There is a thread about this, I started it. Be very careful as the airlines at least in the USA areclamping down on what you can bring on a plane. I just returned with a new tenor in a hard case, Hawaiian Airline said not one word but United gave me a hard time at every chance they could get.
I would put up the link to the thread but not sure how to do it.
Good luck!!

I have carried electric and acoustic guitars through Heathrow and onto aeroplanes as handbaggage, with no trouble at all. If you're worried about your ukulele, buy a cheapo Mahalo or something, and give it away before your return journey.

Even the transportation safety administration in the US - the Homely Security folks....allow musical instruments. The new safety regulations after 9/11 include article 135 - I think - that states that the airlines must make every effort to let you take your musical instrument in the cabin - notwithstanding other carry on requirements. YoYo Ma has to check the spike from the bottom of his cello, and may have to buy a seat because of size - but they don't automatically turn your instrument over to the Cuisinart of the luggage belts.

If you do have to check it - a Calton case is the answer, but costs more than a lot of ukuleles.....good luck, take it along!

Packing light.

Last couple overseas trips I've only packed a carry on + personal bag. Dug out the non wheeling max legal size carry on bag. Placed the soprano uke cased in a gig bag and packed my gear around it. Only issue would be at heathrow. I think you are still limited to one bag. So if you can pack all your travel gear in just one carry on your are set. Lived out of the bags for bit over 4 weeks. Just need to get into the habit of sink washing your clothing. Small trade off for carrying the uke and not dealing with lost, delayed luggages, having to check luggage, hauling a load of stuff around.

Top Bottom