6 & 8 string ukes?

artcrocker

Reaction score
Bloomfield, Michigan & Melbourne, Florida
Just wondered what players thought of the 6 and 8 string ukulele's. Are they played the same as a 4 string? Guess you just have to get used to fretting double strings? I would assume they have a more full bodied sound? Seems like the 6 string has a pair an octive apart, are they played together?

yea they are played like a 4 stringer, not sure of the sound but the 2nd string compliments the standard string with a the lower ovtave of that note.
High G/Low G, High C/Low C, Etc.

If you wanna see how a 6 string sounds look up Daniel Ho, on youtube.

The E and A strings are tuned in unison and the G and C strings are ocatave on the 8 string. The 6 string is tuned G, low C/high C, E, low A/high A. I believe Dino uses a Low G and unison on the A string which I think is great if tend to pick alot. If you're a strummer, the normal 6 string tuning will help round out the sound. Info on Daniel Ho's 6 string guitalele can be found here. It's custom made by KoAloha and uses standard guitar tuning. They also have a production model available.

the 6-string uke that daniel ho is different from the usual 6-string ukes that you would normally see. 6-string ukes are usually just pairs of the A and the C strings, so the strings are tuned to G Cc E Aa, (each pair being an octave apart from their respective pair). The D-VI ukulele that Daniel Ho uses is a 6-string uke but its tuned much like a guitar (ADGCEA, which is like putting a capo on all 6 strings of the guitar).

Here's some links to his D-VI ukulele made by Koaloha.
http://www.koaloha.com/KoAloha_Products/DVI.html
http://www.koaloha.com/Custom_Works/DanielDVI_Signature.html

oh haha i didnt know daniel ho played guitalele i always thought it was just a 6 string uke. my bad disregard my message.

i didnt really know either :p i just noticed that the 2 other strings weren't as close to each other like how other 6-string ukes are. i was also considering on getting an 8 string uke too but i have yet to have first hand experience with one.

IMO, I feel it gives a more fuller sound, something like a 12 string guitar over a 6 if you know what I mean. You can also pick should you desire. You should go check out some 8 stringers and see if you like the sound and playability.

The way I look at it, the 6 & 8 stringers are for rhythm and strumming and compliments other intruments playing along or even by yourself. and 4-string ukes are the ukulele pickers choice. I could be wrong but you usually only see wizards Jake & Aldrine pick on 4 string ukes. Not saying they dont do it on 6 or 8's because I know they can, but 4 seems to be the norm when you are flying up and down the fret board. I love the 6 and 8 string for the full sound it gives.

Personally, most 8 strings I've heard don't sound as full as a well made Spruce Top Tenor strung low G. In fact, most of them tend to sound twangy, for lack of a better term.

If you think about it, an 8 string's lowest string is a low G, paired with a high G, the mid C is paired with a high C, the E is doubled, and then you have a double high A. Lots of high strings in that tuning.

Depending on who's playing, most Lili`u 6's have more balance, but still range towards the high side. I like how John Kitakis sets up his 6 - Low G, Octave C, E, double high A. On paper, this may sound twangy with the octave C and double high A, but the low G is the key. I did something a little different - Octave G, double high A (basically an 8 minus the extra strings on the 2nd and 3rd). Strung either way, they make for a very pick and strum easy instrument.

Then again, listen to Peter Moon pick his Tiple (my friend does the same).

Guting, you're right, singles on the E & A strings. The G & C are doubled. Good eye!

ear you mean, haha. I always wanted to try such a setup but no mo cash.

Top Bottom