Kala solid mahogany tenor or spalted maple?

Blah DTMM

Reaction score
I'd go for the solid spruce top, which means the Spalted one gets my vote.

Great :) That's the one I was leaning towards in the first place, and I'm glad to hear that it'll sound better. Thanks!

Both should sound real nice with the spruce top being a bit louder. I own the solid mahogany concert and I really like it. Can't go wrong with either but its seems your mind is already made up ;) Post pics when it comes in.

I have the Kala Solid Mahogany Tenor and really like it. It was my first tenor and still a joy to play. And I don't mean to throw a wrench in your plan here (it sounds like you've made up your mind) but I think the maple is laminate back and sides, with a solid spruce top. It sure is a nice looking uke though, and I'll bet the spruce makes it sound realliy nice.

So....in a nut shell, I really have nothing of value to add to this conversation. :)

Oh man! Solid mahogany for the win! Spruce tops are nice, I have one, a tenor. I wish I had bought a solid mahogany tenor. Spruce tops are nice for sopranos where you want that sweet treble, but for a bari or a tenor, the mahogany gives a better tone on the mid-range and the bass end. Mathematically, mahogany makes more sense here.

(everything I say might be completely wrong)
:cheers:

Another vote for the solid Mahogany. Mahogany sounds... well, just so ukey!

Even if UAS ever bites me again, which it currently isn't, I'll be keeping my KA-ASMT.

I had a go on a spruce top uke a while back. It was nice, but a bit guitarish. Not as warm as mine.

YMMV.

Get 'em both. :D

I love the sound of mahogany ukes, but on the other hand I have never played a nice spruce top ukulele. I know on guitars spruce has a much brighter sound while all mahogany guitars are more mellow sounding. So I would think about which sound you would rather have and find some videos of the ukulele's you are looking at or similar ones being played MGM posts lots of sound samples. Looks are nice but go for the sound you like best.

An Ohana. (The Kala players here are really going to start hating me, but I've owned both brands, and I just like Ohana better!)

I recently got the Kala Tenor with spruce top and the flame maple. Its an amazing uke. I will go as far to say as it’s the best uke you can buy at that money.

David.

I recently got the Kala Tenor with spruce top and the flame maple. Its an amazing uke. I will go as far to say as it’s the best uke you can buy at that money.

David.

You've tried all other ukes in that price range? Wow! ;) LOL.

What sound do you like? If you want something bright, go for the sprucetop, something more mellow, the mahogany.

Yup. That corresponds to what I heard between the two woods.

I have the spalted maple concert, and it is a very nice sounding uke. A little on the quiet side as there is a fairly thick coating of gloss on it.

They are very nice looking though! I really like the geared tuners and thin neck too. I'd go Spalted Maple. :)
Cheers,
Skottoman

You've tried all other ukes in that price range? Wow! ;) LOL.

I wish Buddhuu, but I have had 9 others in recent years to compare to. And I hope I'll have plenty more to come!

I only have 4 left now. 1 for each... err... limb?

I've heard the saying "4 fingers, 4 strings - do the math", but this is my first encounter with the concept of "4 limbs, four ukuleles..." LOLz

Well guys you've changed my mind hahah. I did a bit more research and managed to find some more sound clips comparing the two and I definitely like the warmer, mellow sound of the mahogany more than the brighter sound of the sprucetop. I've played guitar all my life so I'd like something sounding a little less guitary if you know what I mean. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Top Bottom