Ohana CK35 or Mainland Classic Mahogany Concert

johncaudrey

Reaction score
Hi Folks

My lovely girlfriend has offered to buy me a new uke for my birthday and as I am wanting to try venturing further up the neck I am thinking a concert sized is the way to go and would like a solid mahogany uke for a more melow tone.

I want to buy the uke in the UK to avoid any surprise import duty.

I am currently trying to decide between an Ohana CK35 or a Mainland Classic Mahogany Concert, both seem to be of a similar quality/spec and price (in the UK).

Does anyone have any advice/preferences over these two ukes? I am also struggling to decide over the gloss or matt finishes available on both models. Does the finish make a lot of difference to the tone and the durability?

Thanks in advance

John

Currently very much enjoying my Kala KA-FMS soprano

I would imagine in terms of construction and quality the two are essentially similar. Which do you think is prettier?

There will be a degree of debate about tonal differences between matte and gloss. The difference is really subtle. I believe that matte finishes have a more "dry" sound to them, slightly more plucky, rough and forward. With a matte finish you can rub the top and hear the friction. A gloss finished top has a slightly more refined sound, ever so slightly tamer. But again, the difference is so subtle that most people will not hear it, and I doubt that any of us could reliably guess between matte and glossy on even the best recording.

Matte finishes will eventually become shiny in spots where friction is common. Eventually your arm will buff a section of the uke to a gloss finish. Personally I think that looks really cool. Gloss finishes look gorgeous when polished or wiped down, but can show fingerprints and smudges easily. Gloss may also be harder and more protective of the wood. I prefer a gloss finish but matte would never be a deal breaker. The matte mahogany Mainlands I've seen in photos and videos here look really beautiful.

Last edited:
Pretty much what Will said.

A matt finish will buff up to a kind of antique gloss with a little carefully applid T-Cut, if you decide later you'd rather have a shiny uke. I did that to the top of my Kala KA-ASMT.

Where have you found Mainlands in the UK? I see Eagle Music Shop have started selling them. They seem to have dropped Bushman in favour of Mainland.

Is there somewhere else as well?

No, Eagle Music Shop is the only supplier I have found in the UK and with a limited selection.

John

We will be shipping a big bunch of ukes to Eagle within a couple weeks. If you know what you want, contact Eagle and we will try to facilitate it.

places to but that i recommend for the uk are dukes ukes and the ukulele shop. theyv'e both been reliable and pack the ukes really well and also have comopetitive prices.

as far as the ukes go, i have an ohana tk-300g which i adore. and i would recommend the ohana brand to anyone. but i suggest giving ken middleton an email, thats what i did, and he was really helpful and definately knows his sopranos from tenors

I believe these ukes are not only similar, but actually come from the same factory. The main difference would be their looks.

For what it's worth, I have an Ohana CK-35 and like it a lot.

Top Bottom