PDA

View Full Version : Bushman World Ukulele Video Contest

UkeFan
10-01-2009, 03:29 AM
The 2009 Bushman World Ukulele Video Contest starts today, October 1, 2009. To enter, make a video specifically for the contest, upload it to YouTube, and email us a link to it. We're giving away $3,225.00 in prizes! And, this year's winners will be chosen by popular vote. To learn more, visit our contest page (http://bushmanmusic.com/video-contest.html).

Thanks and good luck,

Bushman Music Works (http://bushmanmusic.com/)

SamWise
10-01-2009, 03:42 AM
Ooh! I started work on my stuff for this a couple of weeks ago. Is it 3 entries total, or 3 for each (harmonica and ukulele), like last year?

UkeFan
10-01-2009, 03:43 AM
I announced the 2009 Bushman World Ukulele Video Contest (http://bushmanmusic.com/video-contest.html) on the Contests board, but I wanted to add an important bit of info here. This year the winners will be chosen by YOU! Votes will come from fellow contestants, from UU members, and from members of our small forum (http://deltafrost.com/flea-flickers_forum2.html). We're giving away $3,225.00 in prizes (http://bushmanmusic.com/uke-prizes.html), and the contest always brings in some amazing videos. We've already received a fun one from Germany (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfgpDsk4VFA).

Have fun and stay tuned!

Valerie
10-01-2009, 03:45 AM
lol, definitely an interesting first video- but not one I could watch for more than 40 seconds...

RevWill
10-01-2009, 04:07 AM
I recommend not supporting this contest until/unless things have been made right with i love stitch.

Edit for clarity:

I Love Stitch is a UU member, a 17 year old female who ordered a Bushman ukulele several months ago. The uke was never delivered. When Stitch contacted Bushman to get her money back, John promised to process the refund within thirty days. It was never processed. Since that time Bushman refuses to return or even answer her phone calls and emails. She is now out approximately $300 with nothing to show for it. If hers were the only horror story of poor customer service I would be more skeptical, but alas it is not. I simply cannot see using our talents, time or money to promote a company that would treat even one customer that way.

RevWill
10-01-2009, 04:09 AM
I recommend not supporting this contest until/unless things have been made right with i love stitch.

upskydowncloud
10-01-2009, 04:55 AM

No idea what you mean.

RevWill
10-01-2009, 05:01 AM
This thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18638&highlight=bushman) should clue you in.

Captain_Lovehandles
10-01-2009, 05:20 AM
Will, I read that thread just now. Can she still not contact them? If not, it's laughable/ironic/a-slap-in-the-face that there's a phone number at the top of this thread.

RevWill
10-01-2009, 05:25 AM
As of 9/22

seriously, is it this hard for him to give me my freakin 300 bucks back!!!
i call the work and cell phone of his at least 3 times a day, not once has he called back my messages!
He answered once, and he said it would be resolved in 24 hours, and its been 3 months since then!:mad:

Last we heard the ball's in John's court.

RevWill
10-01-2009, 06:08 AM
update: I just sent a PM to i love stitch to see whether the situation has been resolved. I would hate to see a 17 year old kid get the runaround and become jaded.

deach
10-01-2009, 06:32 AM

I recommend not supporting this contest based on all the poor customer service so many people have had.

Link
10-01-2009, 06:33 AM
I agree. Definitely not touching this contest...

flyingace
10-01-2009, 06:50 AM

x2, BOYCOTT!

vahn
10-01-2009, 06:54 AM
In principle, I'm all with you guys!!!

Boycott!!!!

...but.. I just got used bushman from someone on UU... I rather like it...

vahn
10-01-2009, 06:55 AM
check this thread: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19719

RevWill
10-01-2009, 07:02 AM
Apparently used is the only way to buy a Bushman these days. (And I mean "only way to buy" in both senses of the phrase).

leftovermagic84
10-01-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm in agreement with the boycott. It isn't right for Bushman to ignore so many hurt customers and expect a contest to restore their reputation.

It's sad though, because it was the entries to this contest last year that really got me excited about ukulele when I was first starting out.

ukeatan
10-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Or, since the winner of this year's contest will be decided by a vote, someone could write a song about how awful Bushman's customer service is and we can all vote it up. :shaka:

RevWill
10-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Or, since the winner of this year's contest will be decided by a vote, someone could write a song about how awful Bushman's customer service is and we can all vote it up. :shaka:

I'm just gonna retract it. It was too mean and snarky.

Link
10-01-2009, 07:29 AM
That would be hilarious.

RevWill
10-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Make it a UkeCrazyBitches collab video, then if we win we Deach the uke to some random YouTuber with a Hilo or a Mahalo or something. Or to I Love Stitch.

leftovermagic84
10-01-2009, 07:33 AM
I found the lyrics here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1024062)

Ken Middleton
10-01-2009, 07:51 AM

Don't understand. I'm English. Please explain.

Ken Middleton
10-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Don't understand. I'm English. Please explain.

Sorry. I found out. I read the whole thread.

RevWill
10-01-2009, 08:04 AM
I added this bit to my original post in this thread.

I Love Stitch is a UU member, a 17 year old female who ordered a Bushman ukulele several months ago. The uke was never delivered. When Stitch contacted Bushman to get her money back, John promised to process the refund within thirty days. It was never processed. Since that time Bushman refuses to return or even answer her phone calls and emails. She is now out approximately $300 with nothing to show for it. If hers were the only horror story of poor customer service I would be more skeptical, but alas it is not. I simply cannot see using our talents, time or money to promote a company that would treat even one customer that way.

$300 is a lot of money to me now at 41, but it was a whole lot more to me when I was a teenager. As a community we should use whatever leverage we have to make this right.

veep
10-01-2009, 08:08 AM

$300 is a lot of money to me now at 41, but it was a whole lot more to me when I was a teenager. As a community we should use whatever leverage we have to make this right.

:agree::agree:

mrUKETOBER
10-01-2009, 08:15 AM
why doesnt she have her parents sue ? lol thats a law suit waitin to happen

RevWill
10-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Our courts have better things to do than settle $300 claims, and going to court should be a last resort anyway.

Russ Sonny Kemner
10-01-2009, 08:21 AM
I have no experience with Bushman Ukulele's, and $3200 worth of prizes sounds pretty delicious! However in my brief time as a member of the UU, I have come to the conclusion that the folks in this group are genuinely decent people, so together we stand. Count me in on the boycott.

Just like several poeple in the ukulele underground, I believe in promoting ukulele music without a personal monetery profit, so it is sad to see something like this happen. Like all business, I'm sure Bushman is in business for a profit, and that is O.K., it's called capitalism and it is what our economey is based on. However it appears that in some cases Bushman is making a profit without delivering - literally - their product, and this is not what capitalism is about. Bushman should send out a top model free of charge to 'Stitch, and randomly donate some instruments to childrens hospitals and orphanages free - if not for the reward of performing a good deed, at least just to save face.

PS. I probably didn't have a chance of winning anyway, I'm a lousy performer!

Captain_Lovehandles
10-01-2009, 08:21 AM
According to the thread, they promised a refund in 24 hours, not 30 days. Even worse.

mrUKETOBER
10-01-2009, 08:24 AM
i for one will be sending nasty hate mail to bushman

russ_buss
10-01-2009, 08:25 AM
mob justice! see? ukuleles ain't all sunshine and rainbows.:eek:

you think the point has been made yet?

flyingace
10-01-2009, 08:29 AM
It's a real shame. Last year when I bought my first uke, I was excited to see so much buzz generated by the contest with Julia Nunes and such. As I tried to get more info about buying one, John responded once to me on their forum in July. I had more questions and wanted to see more pics/specs before making my purchase. I never heard another word from him after that. I tried calling and no answer. My wife tried calling, no answer. So I told her to go with MusicGuyMic on my Kala after getting such good responses from him and Mike Upton at Kala! I'll buy customer service. AND I'll support companies that act responsibly.

It's a real shame... But the public will do the talking and tell in the end. I hope they resolve their issues and become a better company. I might just own a Bushman someday if they do.

RevWill
10-01-2009, 08:44 AM
To be fair, we have only heard I Love Stitch's side of the story. So John Hall, if you're reading this, take the opportunity to defend yourself or to publicly make it right.

RevWill
10-01-2009, 08:46 AM
mob justice! see? ukuleles ain't all sunshine and rainbows.:eek:

you think the point has been made yet?

Does Stitch have her money back yet? When she does the point is made.

russ_buss
10-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Does Stitch have her money back yet? When she does the point is made.

well then by all means, continue with the lynching. didn't mean to get in the way.;)

haole
10-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Might want to keep it a little more civilized, Uketober (and a few others). I don't want to see you get banned. :p There's a difference between drawing attention to a big concern and just plain being mean.

Good call, Rev. I think Bushman is the ONLY well-known uke company that has developed a reputation for customer disservice. Hopefully someone at Bushman will step up to the plate and deliver for Stitch. Nobody deserves to be taken for a ride. I hope this bad experience doesn't ruin the uke for her, either.

RevWill
10-01-2009, 09:08 AM
If the situation has been rectified then I will gladly apologize in this thread and in a new thread to John Hall and all at Bushman.

Russ, I think you know that my intent is not to start a lynching or incite mob justice, but simply to rectify a customer service faux pas (or perhaps a series of them) that has been made public.

I would love to see John restore his credibility here on UU and in the uke community as a whole, and at this point it's going to take a public gesture and continued commitment to do so. If John makes (or has already made) this situation right and makes a public commitment to improved customer service, then he should receive all the grace this community can muster. Until then I see nothing wrong with holding him accountable.

flyingace
10-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Okay, who's got tabs for "Power to the People!"

Captain_Lovehandles
10-01-2009, 09:44 AM
I hope this bad experience doesn't ruin the uke for her, either.

It's no secret that she has a custom Fluke on order, so she's still cool with the ukes.

seeso
10-01-2009, 10:12 AM
According to the rules, this contest thread shouldn't be allowed to continue.

Contest threads are acceptable only if the contest is run in the UU forums.

Since this contest is not run on UU, we the moderators must lock it. However, since Bushman has been invited to reply to allegations made in this thread, we'll leave it open for another 24 hours to allow Bushman the chance of rebuttal.

Friday at 2:00 PM CST this thread will be locked, reply or no reply.

At that time (or any other time), a separate thread may be created for the discussion of the I Love Stitch issue, but not for the Bushman contest.

Thanks.

buddhuu
10-01-2009, 10:49 AM
:cool: .

UkeFan
10-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Dear RevWill,

I have been in business for myself for 23 years. In that time, I have never, ever, not even once, declined to give a person an immediate refund. I would have never said, "Your refund will come in 30 days" I would issue it immediately!!!

Unfortunately, I don't get a chance to visit the UU very often; I don't know who "I Love Stitch" is, but if someone can tell me, I will contact her immediately to see what happened, and do anything necessary to make it right. We have given many ukuleles to young people to get them started in music. If I find any of this to be true - if we do owe her something - she will not only get an immediate refund, but she'll be getting a great ukulele too - FREE!

I am a very easy person to contact:

John Hall
812-988-8200 office phone
812-988-8084 office phone
317-250-8156 personal cell phone for after hours calls
bushmanmusic@gmail.com email for anytime
http://twitter.com/JohnOHall Twitter
http://www.facebook.com/JohnOHall Facebook

Dear Seeso,

I apologize, I was not aware of the "Must be a UU Contest to be posted on UU"! It's good to hear from you - I hope your nephew is doing better. I completely understand if you have to delete posts made by me regarding our contest.

Aloha my friend,

John

seeso
10-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Hi John, thanks for getting back to me. Here's the thread in question:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18638

i love stitch is the young lady with the issue.

Thanks for asking about my nephew. We had a real scare there for a while, but he's really healthy now.

RevWill
10-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Thank you for responding to the thread, John. I sincerely hope you are able to contact this young lady and the situation can be put to rest. If you and Bushman ukuleles have been unfairly represented I sincerely apologize and wish you only the best.

benmealer
10-01-2009, 12:59 PM
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

ogikloavailable
10-01-2009, 02:56 PM
This thread goin to locked?
Just wanna tell i'm in,and i'll emailin bushman soon
If i win,i'll shared half of my money for victims at Padang Earthquake

UKISOCIETY
10-01-2009, 02:57 PM
"The squeaky wheel gets the grease"?

We'll see....:rolleyes:

mrUKETOBER
10-01-2009, 03:01 PM
well when she is re-embersed for her money or the uke then maybe one day i will consider getting a bushman

Wagster
10-01-2009, 04:17 PM
They can give away my bushman uke in this contest as well....I certainly can't play it.

Mainland ukes rule

SuperSecretBETA
10-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Perhaps UU should have its own "Ukulele Drama/Gossip" board.

i love stitch
10-02-2009, 07:14 AM

just saw this thread about my purchase, and yes that was a lot of money for me to come up with, i searched UU one day in the summer and looked at reviews for the bushman. I thought i would save up my money to buy myself a new uke, since all i had was a soprano makala...I got the idea from Julia Nunes, since she inspired me to play the ukulele. And now its October and i still havn't bought a new instrument yet =/

i love stitch
10-02-2009, 07:16 AM
It's no secret that she has a custom Fluke on order, so she's still cool with the ukes.

yes, i am still playing. And the custom order was on hold because the refund from my bushman was the money for my fluke. So i also feel bad for making Dale wait on my order.

GrumpyCoyote
10-02-2009, 07:28 AM
Ok - everyone had their say... I'm shutting the thread for now per Seeso's point about non-UU contests above.