NYC Meetup / Open Mic! Oct 8th!

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
Hey all you NY ukers, let's all crash this open mic on Thursday October 8th turn this mother into a Ukulele Open Mic!

Tilles of Brooklyn Coffee House
http://tilliesofbrooklyn.com/
248 Dekalb Av. Brooklyn, NY 11205

this is such horrible timing for me, Ive got school and work till 8pm both wed (wed till 10:30) and Thursday, so unfortunately I cant make any of this. AND whats even worse is that this is seriously within walking distance from my house.

If anythings going on later in the night I can swing by though? Theres a GREAT bar/grill on 5th ave in Brooklyn (Skinflints -79th st and 5th ave) that make the ABSOLUTE best burgers around (and they serve em on an english muffin!)

but I can come down for an after meetup if any want to do that

I will try to come to both events, I happen to be off work. Can't promise I'll play at the open mic (Need to practice a lot, dunno if I'll be ready then.). So excited!!! Yay!

I'm actually reconsidering my earlier decision. Does anyone know how traffic and what not is there?

8pm or 7pm on 10/7 at Piano's NYC?

The post on the home page says Aldrine and Rayan are playing at 8pm at Piano's NYC tomorrow. But the Piano's website says 7pm. Which is it? Also, the Piano's website implies that Aldrine is part of a band called U.K.E. and provides a link to their MySpace page. What's up with that?

Bummed that I can't make Baltimore, but I'll be at both NY meetups for sure.
CoLmes: Traffic within a 10-mile radius of NYC is hell. Consider a train. :uhoh:

UKE is that french dude that Aldrine was referring to on the yootoob vid.

I'll be in the city all day anyway, so I'll probably stop by there early. :)

Ya'll wanna meet up pre-show- just to hang and get to know each other?

I'm actually reconsidering my earlier decision. Does anyone know how traffic and what not is there?

Where you coming from? If you're driving, aim to leave early, as rush hour sucks, and parking can run you easily 30-40 bucks.

Public transport is where its at, unless you're going with a carful of people (40 bucks to park for 1 person sucks, but if you split it between 5 peeps, its not too bad...)

I'll be coming from State College, Pa. So central pa.

Yeah I don't want to spend a fortune but I do want to come. Any advice about where to find trains or places to park?

I'll be coming from State College, Pa. So central pa.

Yeah I don't want to spend a fortune but I do want to come. Any advice about where to find trains or places to park?

OK...Brooklyn is not Manhattan.
Parking facilities are NOT insanely expensive and with a little circling around you'll probably find parking near the venue.

Traffic can be a bit rough on the BQE during rush hour BUT it is usually worse heading the opposite way of where you will be heading.

You'll be fine driving in and getting parking. I retired from the subway system a number of years back. I drive everywhere...whether it's into Manhattan or any of the other boroughs. I never have any problems....other than road rage. :p

I'd be leaving State College by noon.. So I'd theoretically be in Brooklyn by 4:30. Do you think thats doable? Will I hit any traiffc on the way? Not saying anyone here is the god of knowing traffic patterns but anyone that knows the area well.

Like when I lived South of Boston this summer. around 12 everyday you weren't going to move for about an hour right before the city. Is that how Brooklyn would be?

I'd be leaving State College by noon.. So I'd theoretically be in Brooklyn by 4:30. Do you think thats doable? Will I hit any traiffc on the way? Not saying anyone here is the god of knowing traffic patterns but anyone that knows the area well.

Like when I lived South of Boston this summer. around 12 everyday you weren't going to move for about an hour right before the city. Is that how Brooklyn would be?

Traffic is a relative thing lol.
It depends on how you go.

You might hit traffic in NJ.
You might hit traffic in NYC.

Leaving at the time you are and getting to Brooklyn by 4:30...you should have PLENTY of time.

OK...Brooklyn is not Manhattan.
Parking facilities are NOT insanely expensive and with a little circling around you'll probably find parking near the venue.

Traffic can be a bit rough on the BQE during rush hour BUT it is usually worse heading the opposite way of where you will be heading.

You'll be fine driving in and getting parking. I retired from the subway system a number of years back. I drive everywhere...whether it's into Manhattan or any of the other boroughs. I never have any problems....other than road rage. :p

Spooner, you're absolutely right... I was thinking about the Weds night show... Parking in that part of the east village is neigh impossible...Brooklyn though, is a whole another cuppa joe. You might be circling the block for a bit, but it usually ain't too bad.

Traffic on the BQE can be murderous during rush hour.. but usually its only bad around the bridges, and clear elsewhere that time of day... and, Colin, if you're driving it, theres a bit of construction going on, but nothing too dramatic.

Wed, Oct. 7th / New York, NY – 8:00 pm @ Pianos NYC (158 Ludlow St. New York, NY 10002) Performance with The K!
It says no cover, but the only thing is that the website says 7pm... so I'm probably gonna just show up early and see what's what.

All I know is thank goodness I have 2 UU shirts.

Wed, Oct. 7th / New York, NY – 8:00 pm @ Pianos NYC (158 Ludlow St. New York, NY 10002) Performance with The K!
It says no cover, but the only thing is that the website says 7pm... so I'm probably gonna just show up early and see what's what.

All I know is thank goodness I have 2 UU shirts.

Are shirts a requirement? lol

I went digging for the info.
I did notice that the site says 7. I wonder what the actual time is.

That's a pretty cool little place.

Top Bottom