Resonator Ukes

pinchmips

Reaction score
Are there resonator ukuleles of the tenor size? I found a few just searching around, but they were all soprano and weren't for sale anyway. I don't think musician's friend has any resonator ukes at all.

And my second question. How much louder would a resonator ukulele be compared to a normal solid tenor. And if I aim to play on the streets and not get drowned out by other instruments or just noise in general, could I use a tenor?

I'm not sure about tenors-- all of 'em I've seen have been Concerts or Sopranos.

The resonator does make the ukulele significantly louder. Although the uke player for Winin' Boy says that he got a National only to get rid of it 'cause his old Martin was louder. So it depends on what you're comparing it to.

If you're looking at resonators, and get a chance to play one before you purchase it, keep in mind the issue of directionality when you're testing the volume. The resonator makes it louder, but this is done partially by shooting the sound straight out the front rather than letting it vibrate around the body. If you want a good sense of volume, have a friend play it a bit in front of you, or play it while you're standing facing a wall.

Beltona makes a Tenor resonator:

http://www.beltona.net/songster.htm

As do a few of the other small custom reso builders. They are much less common than the other sizes though. I would guess that concert is the most common reso ukulele size. Pricey though, be prepared to spend $700+ most likely.

How much does a resonator effect the tone? I know reso guitars are a lot twangier. I've only seen reso ukes on Youtube, it doesn't sound like that drastic too me, but Youtubes sound isn't that great.

How much does a resonator effect the tone? I know reso guitars are a lot twangier. I've only seen reso ukes on Youtube, it doesn't sound like that drastic too me, but Youtubes sound isn't that great.

Well, mine's a metal-bodied one. There's a pretty distinct difference between the sound of bell brass and the sound of, say, mahogany or koa.

Also, the resonator itself is a big sonic reflector that sends all the sound out in one direction. And that makes a big difference-- you're projecting all your sound out away from you-- it's almost monodirectional.

There is a pretty big difference in person. But that also varies depending on the construction of the ukulele. A fiberglass Beltona is going to sound different than a wood bodied National. And both are going to sound different than a metal bodied Ron Philips.

As with everything, design, quality of construction, choice of materials, etc all play a part.

Top Bottom