New Uke Day! (time 2!)

psesinkclee

Reaction score
New Uke Day! (times 2!)

Yay! Today I was surprised by 2 ukes arriving in the mail. Got myself a Red Cedar Mainland Soprano, and an Orange Burst Makala (the kind with the plastic back and sides).

The Mainland will debut tonight at an open mic night here at my uni, and the makala will be coming along with me and other researchers to the rainforests of Costa Rica in January when I'm out there doing research on tree frogs :)

3973179330_2743615ac2.jpg

3972411041_7aa08951ee.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on new 'ukuleles. On the Makala Dolphin is the back and sides painted to match the top or is it left black plastic ala FLEA/FLUKE? IS the fretboard and dolphin bridge still rosewood? Sounds like a great campfire 'ukulele. I wonder how the sound compares to the all wood laminate Dolphins.

Congrats on new 'ukuleles. On the Makala Dolphin is the back and sides painted to match the top or is it left black plastic ala FLEA/FLUKE? IS the fretboard and dolphin bridge still rosewood? Sounds like a great campfire 'ukulele. I wonder how the sound compares to the all wood laminate Dolphins.

Back and sides are painted to match the top, the top is plywood, and the neck and headstock are still wood. It can def take a beating; the real test will be playing it in the rainforests in January :D

Fret board is still a hard wood of sorts (not sure if its actually rosewood though).

Last edited:

U can't really notice a sound difference. I got to play some that ukerepublic has and I couldn't tell any difference. The color is the same all sround.

Two in one day? Nice! :D The Mainland is super classy and the Makala is just plain fun.

If you can take guests on your trip to Costa Rica, let me know. That sounds incredible. :eek:

Can I suggest a few names for them? How about Destiny and Malice? they are a couple local entertainers that I really like. ;)

The Mainland passed the test. Just had a great time playing at an open mic night on campus. I let it loose with Lollipop by Lil' Wayne as my song for the night. The soprano sang! I didn't place or anything, but I was the only act to get everyone to smile while I was playing, and got a huge laugh when I walked up with my uke and said "I'll need a second mic, b/c my guitar is way smaller than all these guys ones." And of course, everyone seemed to like that I was singing a rap song :p

I seriously need a Dolphin. A yellow one. Someone at the Other Forum That Shall Remain Nameless had painted Beatles Yellow Submarine characters on a yellow dolphin and it looked stunning. Given that I am a Beatles freak.....

I love that case for the Mainland. What kind is it and do you have any thoughts on it? Nice ukes BTW!

I love that case for the Mainland. What kind is it and do you have any thoughts on it? Nice ukes BTW!

I got it through Mainland Ukes, and the brand is STAMAR. Its got a great exterior, very tough feeling, and the interior is really plush and soft. Its a little tight on the lower bout of the body, but it holds well and doesn't 'swim' around in the case when its closed. The accessories compartment is very small (as I would expect with a soprano hard case of this size), but it holds a tuner and some picks just fine. I folded up a cleaning cloth and keep it under the head stock. There is also clearance under the headstock for a small humidifier (will be making a trip to the local cigar shop soon for one).

Last edited:
Does this mean I should wait til the local shop stock up the new plastic Makalas, or should I grab an old one now?

Congrats on your newborns!

Does this mean I should wait til the local shop stock up the new plastic Makalas, or should I grab an old one now?

Congrats on your newborns!

I love the new makalas dolphins. I played it beside my friend's older makala (both of which were set up by MGM with Aquila strings), and I prefer the tone from the new semi-plastic one.

Also, if anyone is looking for a good cheap gigbag for a soprano, I'd suggest the Kala one, its got thick padding and is really high quality for the price.

How AWESOME...great colors...I really like the Makala! Enjoy!;)

Top Bottom