used Martin Soprano vs. New Ohana ?

brUKEman

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a used (6 months old- made in Mexico) Martin s-0 Soprano in mint condition for $180.00 with Gig Bag & xtra strings or should I go for the new Ohana SK25 for $169 with no case + tax & shipping. Which is the better deal or better Uke.. This would be my 2nd uke, as I already have a Tenor..

Are you able to play both? That would be my deciding factor. I have played one 1920's Martin and many Ohanas. I own 4 Ohanas and love them, They are my favorite brand of uke, but the old Martin played like butter. Don't know a thing about newer Martins.

i would do the ohana. i tried one of those martin s0's a couple weeks ago and wasn't very impressed. i actually sort of disliked it. to be fair, it was at a guitar center (or one of those big guitar stores around times square) and the salesman had obviously never used friction tuners and they were wound backwards on 2 of the strings. :2cents:

uke

Id go with the Martin. Ohanas are everywhere for that price. A Martin for that price is hard to find. You could always sell it if you dont like it.
I had a Martin so and sold it. Now that Ive been playing for a while Im sorry I did. Its a personal thing. Do what ever you think is best. In the end your the one playing it.
Good luck

I had a Martin S-0 and mine was perfect. It has none of the quality issues that the first ones produced in Mexico had and it sounded great. I did sell it and sometimes I regret that. Other people I know that actually own them really liked them and a few people I know that played them were not impressed when they compared them to vintage Martins, which should be expected.

Last edited:
I'll test the Martin

I'll play the Martin to see If I like it before I make any decisions. What happened was, I wasn't looking for a Uke but someone I know knew about the Martin. I knew price wise it was a good deal so I started reading reviews on it and they are pretty mixed. Then I got to thinking I could buy a new Ohana for the same price. I guess that is how this UAS disease progresses :)

I'll play the Martin to see If I like it before I make any decisions. What happened was, I wasn't looking for a Uke but someone I know knew about the Martin. I knew price wise it was a good deal so I started reading reviews on it and they are pretty mixed. Then I got to thinking I could buy a new Ohana for the same price. I guess that is how this UAS disease progresses :)
Yes, just buy both and it's WIN WIN for you!

I would go for the Martin if the choice were mine.

I have a vintage Martin soprano and a friend has a new SO. I like playing that new Martin and I don't compare the old with the new. I think a basically new Martin for the price you can get it for is a good value.

I think Ohana makes a good product but I like the Mojo of the Martin name and history along with the fact that it is a really fun and playable ukulele. Perhaps new they are somewhat overpriced but you have beaten that already at the price.

Good luck....either way, have a blast with your new ukulele!

The Martin SO is a $340 uke for $180.
The Ohana is a $170 uke for $170.

You're getting a really good price on that Martin, and you have the opportunity to try before you buy. Heck, if you don't like it you could probably sell it for more than $180 (except to us, we know what you paid!)

i played that martin today and it sounded like crap...(no offense to anyone who has it or likes it)

I bought my Martin S-O from a private party for $225.00 with Martin gig bag. I too had played one at a local music store and was not overly impressed. But UAS and the fact "I have to have a Martin" got the best of me. I love the looks and playability of the S-O but my Flea actually sounds better.

I am trying different strings on the Martin (yet to try Worth) to see if it "brightens up" a bit. I probably am not much help in your decision making, the Ohana might be your best deal at this point and pick up an S-O later (they are out there for $200.00 used). I would not have been happy to pay full retail for the S-O.

Decided on Martin but too late

Thanks to all of you I decided on the Martin, but by that time is was already gone. Oh well, I'll keep looking. The fun is in the search........

Oddly, most of the bad-mouthing concerning the Martin S-0 is from people that had never owned one or those comparing them to vintage ukes. The instruments will sound better with age. That's not to say that the opinions above are of that lot. These folks are all pretty trustworthy in their opinions. When I had mine, I played it enough that it opened up, but I prefer concert-sized ukes and did not play it as often as others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom