Just got a Pono Baritone!

iDavid

Reaction score
New to the forum, so hello everyone!

Played guitar for years and had bought my daughter a Bushman Soprano a few years back, which my wife mainly plays.

I decided to try a bigger Uke and found a Pono PBO at a blow out price.

Man, am I loving this uke. It sounds like a cross between a Uke and nylon string guitar.

I am curious about those special sets of string which can bring the Baritone up to "standard" uke tuning. I like the tuning now, since I am familiar with it, but it would cool to have the smae chord shapes as the Mrs.

anyone try those string?

peace,

david

New to the forum, so hello everyone!

Played guitar for years and had bought my daughter a Bushman Soprano a few years back, which my wife mainly plays.

I decided to try a bigger Uke and found a Pono PBO at a blow out price.

Man, am I loving this uke. It sounds like a cross between a Uke and nylon string guitar.

I am curious about those special sets of string which can bring the Baritone up to "standard" uke tuning. I like the tuning now, since I am familiar with it, but it would cool to have the smae chord shapes as the Mrs.

anyone try those string?

peace,

david

hey mate, if you wanna get in the same tuning as your wifes ukulele get yourself a set of Aquila BARITONE 4 strings, GCEA Tuning (all Nylgut strings). It will bring it into the same key (think im using the right word here) as your wifes but comming out of the baritone the sound will be much more deeper and louder, Aquila's are a great "starting off" sort of string meaning they give the ukulele a huge difference in sound (in a very good way) and there great on the fingures, you will be happy with that choice. best of luck stick some pics up of your pono barry mate and welcome to the forum

Another option is to throw a capo on the 5th fret....this is what I do when I want the sound of a low G tenor.

CAPO! good idea.

Are there any Baritone strings that only have one wound string in the set instead of two?

will you post a video of you playing it? i am about to get it and am wondering how it sounds.

thats a great buy, has a good deep tone. I wanted one! IF i was a guitar player that would be my choice in ukulele

thats a great buy, has a good deep tone. I wanted one! IF i was a guitar player that would be my choice in ukulele

i don't play guitar but i'm getting one because i wish that i could play guitar and i'm still gonna tune it gcea so that i don't have to learn all new chords

alternate tuning for the Baritone

I just put GCEA Baritone strings on my Baritone. I then tuned it to FA#DG I think it sounds awesome. Give it a try and tell me what you think

Funny, I'm a guitar player and I found baritone to be *too* like guitar...it didn't sound ukey to me. I sent mine back! Once I'm a seasoned ukulele veteran maybe I'll gibe bari another try...

I'm a steel string guitar player, and I enjoy my baritone. It doesn't feel like a uke or a guitar to me, almost like an instrument of its own.

Funny, I'm a guitar player and I found baritone to be *too* like guitar...it didn't sound ukey to me. I sent mine back! Once I'm a seasoned ukulele veteran maybe I'll gibe bari another try...

A guitar with Uke flair :D

and two less strings to deal with :cool:

Top Bottom