PDA

View Full Version : You know what always surprises me?

RevWill
10-02-2009, 08:39 AM
When I'm breaking in a new set of strings my uke tends to go flat, but always at the same interval per string. I pick it up to play and it sounds like it's in tune because it is in tune with itself, but every string is a half step low (or more).

Perhaps I'm just easily amused.

UKISOCIETY
10-02-2009, 08:44 AM
This happens with many instruments. String quartets will slowly flatten as they play a composition. But since it's simultaneous, you don't notice.

Unles, of course, you have perfect pitch. :)

haole
10-02-2009, 08:48 AM
I have relative pitch but not perfect pitch, so sometimes my uke can slip down a whole step and I won't even notice as long as the chords still sound good.

RevWill
10-02-2009, 09:01 AM
When I notice on my Mainland is when my C string starts to buzz on fretted notes. Tuned to pitch it's perfect.

existence
10-02-2009, 09:04 AM
When I'm breaking in a new set of strings my uke tends to go flat, but always at the same interval per string. I pick it up to play and it sounds like it's in tune because it is in tune with itself, but every string is a half step low (or more).

Perhaps I'm just easily amused.

I had this very thought just last night. I'm currently breaking in the strings on the new Kiwaya, and have been tuning a half step up to let them stretch. As you said, they all flatten at the same rate, except for the C, which tends to be 10 to 15 cents flatter than the rest. Noticed the same thing on the classical guitars. Pretty nice though, since it means you don't have to tweak the knobs every five minutes....

etkre
10-02-2009, 11:15 AM
What's really odd is that my C tends to go sharp while the others go flat "together."

Ahnko Honu
10-02-2009, 11:41 AM
On my geared tuners they all go at the same rate but my friction tunered (real word?) 'ukulele the string are all kapakahi. ;)

Ronnie Aloha
10-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Heck, I still find I do that now when I'm too lazy to clip on the tuner! I'll slow roll the strings and think "sounds good to me!"

UkÚDan
10-02-2009, 03:27 PM
What's really odd is that my C tends to go sharp while the others go flat "together."

I'va just added D'addarios to my Koa Pili Koko and when settling in, they go sharper and not flatter. All the strings, go figure... Never happened to me before.:confused:

Ukeffect
10-02-2009, 04:16 PM
This happens with many instruments. String quartets will slowly flatten as they play a composition. But since it's simultaneous, you don't notice.

Unles, of course, you have perfect pitch. :)
PITCH??? What is this foreign word of which you speak? :eek: