None of my business: Mainland Ukes & Rope Binding

MoreUke

Reaction score
Question: If you could change the rope binding on Mainland Ukes to something else ... but with the proviso that there had to be a visual binding there. What would you change it to?

Reason asked. Seems like there are quite a few post commenting about how good the customer service is and the great tone of Mainland Ukuleles. But folks pass on them because they don't care for the look of the rope binding. I find that I have a similar attitude. Yet for the life of me I can't come up with something I would prefer. I am assuming that the factory requires some type of distinguishing difference from other brands which are made at the same factory.

Aloha

I love the rope binding on my Mainland Pineapple, separates it from my other pineapples.

I don't have one, but I think the rope binding looks great. If they were to change it, I don't know, maybe checkered binding would look good.

Ska checkers, but the rest of the instrument would have to be black and white, too.
the+specials.jpg

(Although I like the rope inlay just fine.)

--Mark

Firstly, Welcome to UU! What great timing for you to post this question!

The rope-binding is very traditional with stringed instruments. I believe Mainland is harking back to those with its binding. Here's a pic of a French guitar from the Baroque era:
voboam-roseta-3.jpg

Here's another:
guitar.jpg

Love this painting of one:
baroque-guitar-history-of-classical-guitar-1.jpg

Taste is subjective, but the rope-binding connects Mainland ukes to a rich history!

I lurve rope binding, but if I had to replace it - herringbone.

AG_BindingsCompleted3.JPG

As far as I can tell, rope binding has always been present in the history of the uke and the Mainlands proudly reflect that tradition.

Maybe a top made of graham crackers, chocolate binding and marshmallow inlays.

That wil teach me to post here . You've managed to take a fairly mundane subject such as "rope binding" and kick it up several notches to something really worthwhile ... DESERTS!

Well just to let ya folks know I can play that game also. Caramel Cremes for the peg heads. Strap out of candy button strips. For an audience make them Slo-poke suckers.

Aloha

I would put a long line of diffused LEDs. PARTY UKE!!!

Easy, Skittles. And every time I took a bite of the binding, new Skittles would appear.

Maybe a top made of graham crackers, chocolate binding and marshmallow inlays.

That would be sweet. Pun definitely intended. Ohhhh!!! Sound the comedic drum roll.

Top Bottom