Which Premium Ukulele?

Island_Uke

Reaction score
The next ukulele brand I was thinking of getting was a Kamaka, but I played a KoAloha and I loved it,also everyone saying Kanile'a is a great brand too.
Which ukulele should I buy?

Kamaka
KoAloha
Kanile'a

They're all great! See if you can play a few and compare them. If not, just buy the prettiest one. You'll probably love it.

I played a KoAloha and I loved it
Without knowing it, you have just made the majority of all threads on this forum useless. You played, you loved, you buy.

Don't worry about getting the wrong uke as you won't. You loved it, remember? Believe in your own judgment, get that uke and be cool strumming a great instrument.

Where are you located? My advice, if you have the opportunity to play them all, buy the one that sounds and feels best to you. Another option; check with Ukulele Friend, you may see something you like. These are customs, BTW.

try youtube

try checking out youtube. musicguymic and ukulele friend are two sites i know of that have sound bytes of various ukes.

I donno maybe because I can't afford 3 $950 ukes :D

I remember someone on the boards once suggest selling their organs to solve this problem!!!

My newest uke is a KoAloha. It was a decision between a kamaka and my KoAloha, the rest is history. I would agree with everyone else that trying it out would be best. I walked into the store planning to buy the kamaka because of the name brand. Maybe I'll get my kamaka once I sell my appendix. Any takers?;)

Ok....my pic is for the Kanilea. Kamaka makes awesome ukes and so does Koaloha. I found the Koaloha to be little on the tinny side for my taste. The kanilea I bought (super concert) is really warm sounding. All of this really bolis down to preference. I would take a ferry over to Seattle for the afternoon and hit up Dusty Strings just north of downtown in the Fremont area. No less than 20 different Ukes on the wall. Mostly Kamaka, Kiwaya, Pono, and Koolau. It is made for you to pull each off the wall and play to your hearts content. Spend a day there and see what sound you like.

Without knowing it, you have just made the majority of all threads on this forum useless. You played, you loved, you buy.

Don't worry about getting the wrong uke as you won't. You loved it, remember? Believe in your own judgment, get that uke and be cool strumming a great instrument.

Spoken like a true Ninja:D But I totally :agree:

I too agree:agree: Just try all three and you will know which one you like the best. That is what happened to me. I started out wanting one of the "K's" and wound up with the one I did not plan on buying.
Have fun trying them out!!!!:)

Are we talking about tenors, concert or sopranos? Most brands have their strength in a certain scale length. I -personally- would consider e.g. a Kanilea when it comes to tenors, but not when talking sopranos. I also think, the three brands don´t sound even close, so it should not be too difficult, to decide, when played for a comparison. All three are suiting perfectly certain styles of playing and listening. You just have to find out, what kind of sound you want to produce.
But in the end I´m with ukeninja: You loved the koaloha? Buy the koaloha! No regrets!

I think you should rephrase the question to ask which ukulele should you buy FIRST? Instead of limiting it to one. Because if you haven't realized it yet, UAS will follow, and your desire for more ukes will come!

I have a Kamaka soprano and concert. I love them both. I also have a Koaloha Sceptre, concert size and I can't tell you enough good things about how beautiful it sounds. The two brands both have their distinct sounds and like everyone else here is saying, the best way to decide on which to buy first is whichever you could get your hands on first and strum a few notes on it and you'll know if its for you. The others will follow in time. :D

I still have yet to try a Kanile'a. That may be my next!

Top Bottom