First saw...

etkre

Reaction score
Okay guys, I need your wisdom. I am currently amassing a tool collection. So far, I have been able do this on the cheap through flea markets and antique stores, but have yet to find a quality used saw.

For my first saw, I will be buying new. Is there anything on the market at a reasonable price that will suffice as a good all-around saw for uke building? What would you suggest for my first saw?

I don't know if it'll help, but my current collection consists of a couple of nice chisels, wood files, hand drill, and a draw knife (plus a hammer and some screw drivers).

Thanks guys,
Eric

try craigslist

Try craigslist you should be able to pickup a used band or table saw there.

Try craigslist you should be able to pickup a used band or table saw there.

Ohhh, I recently followed that advice, and did just that!!! But the dang thing just broke!!! Looks like I could easily replace the part. But they don't make it anymore!!! Looks like craigslist put me out some money.

Guess I'll buy new, how 'bout you?

EDITOR'S NOTE: I just broke it tonight, so I'm feeling a little bitter.

Last edited:
Oh, sorry guys. I should have been more clear. I'm in need of one or two hand saws to do the project. Serious power tools are way outside of my budget at the moment, and if I need them I'll use what we have at work.

So any hand saws you'd recommend?

Thanks again.

Handsaws are pretty specialized tools.

There are saws for crosscutting, ripping, curves, cutting dovetails, for thin or thick wood and so on. Exactly what do you want to cut?

I probably have about 15 different types of handsaws

Dozuki is a good starter.

Sometime the best tools are the ones you can find at flea markets

Hey Ron, is there a reason you would recommend the dozuki style over ryoba or kataba styles. Until now, I was torn between the latter two...

Eric

Ohhh, I recently followed that advice, and did just that!!! But the dang thing just broke!!! Looks like I could easily replace the part. But they don't make it anymore!!! Looks like craigslist put me out some money.

Guess I'll buy new, how 'bout you?

EDITOR'S NOTE: I just broke it tonight, so I'm feeling a little bitter.

What did you buy and what broke, might still be fixable. I would stay away from home the shop equipment, just about any real industrial tools should be fixable for your lifetime.

All three are good, I just grab the dozuki more often. YMMV

Top Bottom