put worth strings on my ohana sopranino

Out of curiosity what kind of strings did it have before, did you put browns or clears, and in what way is the sound better, i'm asking cause im thinking of putting worth's on my ohana

I'm SO proud of you Pammy Whammy! I have a Tangi Gecko that needs new strings but I haven't decided on clears or browns, I have both sets. What did you use?

Thanks!

I had the aquilas that came with it when I ordered it from MGM's shop. It sounded a little tinny to me, compared to my concert uke. Didn't know if it was just the size or what.

I got some clear worths and put them on, and now the tone sounds less tinny to my ear. Very nonscientific as I didn't record samples to listen side by side. But whatever was bothering me about the sound before is not bothering me now, so I'm calling it good!

Thanks for the replies!

I love Worth Clears on my Fluke.

I tried Worth Browns on my Flea, and found them dull and honky, but I'm eager to try the Clears on it next.

Congrats on the string change! Strings do make a difference. Nothing like breaking in a new set.

I just put some Worth clear mediums on my soprano Flea. It came stock with Hilos. The Hilo's C string was always problematic. It was thuddy sounding. The intonation of the whole instrument was a little off with the Hilos (pitch changed too much with different finger pressure), but the C was especially bad. I could never tune the uke to itself - always had to use a tuner.

The Worth CMs seem to have fixed all that. The intonation of all the strings is spot on according to the tuner. And I can now tune the uke to itself. Difficult to explain to non-musicians how nice a change like that is.

The Worth CMs feel firmer than the Hilos when fretting. The tips of my fingers have to get used to them.

I like the tone. I find that they have volume, but are not in your face in terms of brightness. The high notes ring out, but they are not an ear splitting hard high pitch. At the same time they are not thuddy, muddy, or dull sounding.

Enjoy!

hooray pammy!

Changing strings is definitely one of those big benchmarks in ukulele proficiency and finding ones you really like is a really gratifying accomplishment

I tried Worth Browns on my Flea, and found them dull and honky, but I'm eager to try the Clears on it next.

How can Browns be honky? I thought Whites were honky. :cool: :D ;)

Seriously, you'll love the clears on your Flea, I have a low g set on my Flea and they sound GREAT!

... and now it sounds better to me! I'm kinda jazzed about this and wanted to tell someone who cares.

Isn't that neat!!?? I felt so brave changing the strings all by myself.

I have just done the same and like the tone better. Choices choices. I love Aquillas too. Depends on the ukulele.

Thanks!

I had the aquilas that came with it when I ordered it from MGM's shop. It sounded a little tinny to me, compared to my concert uke. Didn't know if it was just the size or what.

I got some clear worths and put them on, and now the tone sounds less tinny to my ear. Very nonscientific as I didn't record samples to listen side by side. But whatever was bothering me about the sound before is not bothering me now, so I'm calling it good!

Thanks for the replies!

I changed my own strings for the first time and was very proud of myself. I find I prefer the Worth clears over the Aquilas for the same reasons you mentioned. I haven't tried anything else, but thought I would try Fremonts on my Flea.
Roxhum

... and now it sounds better to me! I'm kinda jazzed about this and wanted to tell someone who cares.

Isn't that neat!!?? I felt so brave changing the strings all by myself.

Hi Pamela:

Did you put medium clears on or browns? I haven't tried Worth strings yet, but want to. No shop carries them near me. Also, it's a good feeling to change strings yourself, isn't it? :eek:

Top Bottom