Uke buying decision flowchart

[See a Uke I like]------->[Buy it]

There's got to be one brainiac on this board who can create a uke buying decision flowchart.

What's yours? You must have one, huh? You don't seem the impulsive sort.

Play uke(s) currently owned
Get bored with uke(s)
Realize "need" for another uke
Create justification for expenditure
Spend hours on UU forums investigating the "perfect uke"
Possibly see qualifying uke at music store
either way-check wallet-low funds
Brood over lack of funds
Pray for DEACHING
Realize there are billions of people in the world who have no uke
Play the ukes you have and be satified (until cycle repeats)

What's yours? You must have one, huh? You don't seem the impulsive sort.

Mine is a checklist. Tenor? sound cool? Look cool?

My original thought was to have a series of questions to help them choose a size, wood type, price range, etc. to help narrow down their uke search.

How about something like this?

I need your help with the first box thingie...
Ukebuying101draft.jpg

How wonderfully creative. Thanks for all your entries. I'm sure there's the making of a UU t-shirt in there somewhere.

All of them could be stickers for our uke cases.

Thanks again,

Mine is a checklist. Tenor? sound cool? Look cool?

My original thought was to have a series of questions to help them choose a size, wood type, price range, etc. to help narrow down their uke search.

we have same checklist..

except mine has can i offord it?, i never can. so :spam:

The first box, IMO, should contain "kicking the tires and test driving" information:

Checking intonation
Checking the tuners (also friction vs. geared?)
Listening for dead spots
Feeling for fret sprout
Inspecting fit & finish
How to listen for tone (I tend to make a chord and turn the uke toward me and strum, or play facing a hard wall or mirror so the true sound of the top is reflected toward my ears)
Reading online reviews critically

The first box, IMO, should contain "kicking the tires and test driving" information:

Checking intonation
Checking the tuners (also friction vs. geared?)
Listening for dead spots
Feeling for fret sprout
Inspecting fit & finish
How to listen for tone (I tend to make a chord and turn the uke toward me and strum, or play facing a hard wall or mirror so the true sound of the top is reflected toward my ears)
Reading online reviews critically

With respect, most beginners will just scratch their heads at things like intonation, dead spots, and fret sprout.

Perhaps a simple breakdown of the features, strengths, and weaknesses of the various brands of entry-level instruments would be more in order.

Lanakai
Makala
Mahalo
First Act
Remo
Etc.

UkeHunt has a section on this.

Skrik, you are right that the info I posted probably doesn't belong in the first box. However, I still stand by the notion that the info is important in a uke-buying flow chart.

For beginners, however, most of the issues listed can be taken care of by purchasing from reputable dealers who care about ukes and give each uke a proper setup (MGM, Mainland, Uke Republic, and others). Perhaps info like that could be incorporated into the chart as well.

Acually, looking at the UkeHunt section on buying ukuleles, I think we'd be reinventing the wheel.

That particular wheel looks less than perfect to me: Fluke/Flea and Mainland, both of which seem to get huge love here at UU, aren't mentioned among the recommended brands.

And nothing is said about the importance of setup and reputable sellers.

Top Bottom