"Pretty" ukes?

lizaloo

Reaction score
I've had a nice plain-Jane uke for a while and I've been wanting something a little more artistic. My budget is probably $100 - $200, and I'm looking for a soprano (maybe a concert, but I'd prefer a soprano) with some kind of a design on it while still retaining beauty and, of course, quality. So far the black-stained Applause UAE20 (http://folk-instruments.musiciansfr...ic-Electric-Deluxe-Soprano-Ukulele?sku=516727) has been my favorite (though I have no need for an electric and will probably want something a little more natural), but I can't really find much else on "larger" websites that I find I can trust more easily.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

My first and (so far) only uke is an applause. It's a nice instrument with nice sound, but the rounded plastic back makes it somewhat hard to hold in a traditional ukulele fashion. It wants to slip all the time. Shouldn't be a problem if you plan on using a strap, but otherwise I would avoid it.

Other than that I think you got some good advice already.

I have to reccomend the flea over the ovation too. I've played both, and own a Fluke (big brother to the Flea) and a bigger version of the Ovation, and will say that the Flea will probably make you happier especially if you don't need the electronics. The Flea will sound better, probably feel better in your hands with the neck profile (although those are both very subjective), and IMO looks cooler. Plus, the flea can stand up on its own due to its flat bottom.

gah why did you make this thread ive now found about another ten ukes to add to me wish list :p

Oh man, thanks guys! I really like those Fleas, but I think they might be "too" cool (and I have to say I do love the shape of a standard). Searching a little more, I found this - http://www.activemusician.com/item--UO.OU280SWK - and I love the pattern on the fretboard. Does anyone know of any place selling something similar (pattern can be anywhere on the uke, I'm just talking about the essence of it I suppose) but for a lower budget?

Thanks for all of your help, by the way!

There is no such thing as too cool.

FLEA-VINE_body-front.jpg

Fleas are awesome.

if you do start looking around on ebay, stay away from sellers bruceweiart and inlaidartist, and anyone else selling from asia for prices that seem too good to be true. They're stuff looks amazing, but people have learned the hard way you get what you pay for.

I have to vote for funkylicious cool. :D
Flea.jpg

Top Bottom