trip to Dusty Strings in Seattle - w o w.

pamelamama

Reaction score
I went to a local acoustic music shop in Fremont, Seattle and saw SO MANY beautiful and fancy ukes that I have only read about before. Wow! I got to try a six string and an eight string tenor. Oh my goodness, the SOUND! And oh my goodness, the Price Tag!! Whoa!

I asked the dude in the shop to show me something I could aspire to... and he sure did.

While there I bought a uke thong for my sopranino, and I'm very excited about it.

W O W.

Anyone have one of those six or eight string ukes?

I went to a local acoustic music shop in Fremont, Seattle and saw SO MANY beautiful and fancy ukes that I have only read about before. Wow! I got to try a six string and an eight string tenor. Oh my goodness, the SOUND! And oh my goodness, the Price Tag!! Whoa!

I asked the dude in the shop to show me something I could aspire to... and he sure did.

While there I bought a uke thong for my sopranino, and I'm very excited about it.

W O W.

Anyone have one of those six or eight string ukes?

I would live in that shop if I could...

I love that store. The staff are very helpful and they have some beautiful instruments. I am glad you got to see it!

I got an 8 string Mele with abalone trim. My favorite out of 8.

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

fancy!

Matt, we should plan a field trip there some time!

Dusty is great, and the Music school there is also good. Lots of good teachers pass through for workshops, although I think the only classes going on right now are for super-beginners.

I bought my Ko'olau there last Christmas, and am currently lusting after the pair of Collings concerts on the wall. If they had a sunburst one with the 'haircut' headstock I probably would have sold a body part by now.

Dusty Strings is my favorite store in the world. Best place in Seattle to shop for anything uke related.

It almost doesnt' seem real how many ukes there are when you first walk in.

I couldn't agree more. I go very frequently since I live nearby and playing the Collins was absolutely amazing. Also, playing a $5000 uke is pretty cool. I will say, the one that surprizes me the most is the Kiwaya. It made such an impression at Dusty Strings that I went and bought one...that from a super cheapskate!

Dusty is great, and the Music school there is also good. Lots of good teachers pass through for workshops, although I think the only classes going on right now are for super-beginners.

I bought my Ko'olau there last Christmas, and am currently lusting after the pair of Collings concerts on the wall. If they had a sunburst one with the 'haircut' headstock I probably would have sold a body part by now.

Oh? When did they get Collings? Looks like I need to make the trek over there.

Dusty's has the friendliest staff around !! Best of all....they dont place any of their ukuleles out of reach. Pull it down and play it!! Love Dusty's....

One of my favorite places... A little drive for me, but always worth the trip.

Great selection, great service.

I never knew of this place. My next trip north will include Dustys! Thanks for the info!

Dusty Strings is my second home! I love going in there and usually spend at least an hour in there playing all the ukes and chatting it up with Rob and the rest of the staff.

They also special order if you don't see what you like there. Also, if you ever want to install a pick-up for an uke you purchased there, you get a discount from them too on the service. I already bought two Kamaka's from them, both within a year of each other!

Just a note, they did start posting their inventory online now, check it out! Great staff and great selection!

http://www.dustystrings.com

I never knew of this place. My next trip north will include Dustys! Thanks for the info!

If you can, come during a SUPA Sunday and join us for our workshop and song circle. ( seattleukulele.org )

If you're a member of PUA, bring a new songbook and we'll trade with one of ours.;)

I just posted some pictures and a few words about Dusty over on the UCB blog. They did a set-up for my octave mandolin on the spot on a busy Saturday afternoon this week - no waiting.

Great, great service and an astonishing collection of instruments.
ukestore.jpg

Last edited:
I have a music store similar in service and close to the selection to Dusty's near me. They are called Absolute Music in Fairborn OH... Something about the small time shops that they have better service and they really see what is going on. I was at Absolute over the weekend and decided to check their selection, expecting something similar to GC... 1 maybe 2... They had 12! All different brands and all strung with Aquila's instead of the normal GHS strings... I talked to the "expert" in the acoustic area and she said that they can hardly keep them in stock! I would love to know who else in my area is buying ukuleles! But anyway... Yeah I love the mom and pop music stores that Dusty's seems to be more of, they just have a much better atmosphere... Less vulturey...

Top Bottom