PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions - Kala KA-ASLAT (Lacewood Tenor)

UkuDude
10-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Greetings!

I am the proud owner of a new Uke from MGM! I WAS very impressed with this little baby, great sound and excellent value for the price.

I was a bit worried about the set-up, seems that the action was just too high. I sent a message to Mike and got a quick reply with some info about distances and etc. (I may have offended someone there at the shop, because the response was a bit harsh I thought.) Anyway, it has been about 2 weeks now and the action is definitely too high. Also, the bridge is uneven! Lower on the G, and rising to the A, about 1 mm difference.

Two different shops tell me it will need work, one of them told me this Uke was not, or was not well set-up. I have written to MGM, no reply as of yet.

What should I do? :confused:

Thanks & Peace!

Keith

Lehua Concert & Kala KA-ASLAT

Thanks to everyone for your help on this. MGM - Mike - Da Music Guy, agreed the Ukulele should get some attention. It was sent back to him, adjusted, then sent back to me. It is now a delight to play! The saddle was turned 180 degrees, and seems to have been shaved a bit.

I am very pleased. Mike covered the costs too.

Peace :p

Ahnko Honu
10-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Hang in there, Mike is at a 'ukulele festival in Cerritos, California this week end.
I have no doubt he will take good care of you. ;)

Boozelele
10-04-2009, 03:06 AM
I wonder if it is just a matter of sanding the saddle to make it even on that end? Did the shops you took it to offer to repair it? Did they indicate how much they thought it would cost to repair it?

You should definitely pass on the MGM your findings about the varying height of the bridge. He should have a suggestion on what to do about it.

keep us posted here for sure.

UkuDude
10-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the comments. I have written to Mike with the info, I will wait to hear back from him. As far as how much to get this Uke in good playing shape, $50.00 or so from the local music shop dude.

A local luthier I found in the paper says an hour or so, plus parts. He wants to replace Nut and Saddle! (He said "start over and do it right".)

I will keep everyone updated.

Thank Again - Keith

Sigmund
10-05-2009, 12:30 AM
It seems odd to replace the nut and saddle if the action is too high - unless the local guy believes that they should be replaced with a different type than was originally installed.

HoldinCoffee
10-05-2009, 02:23 AM
I'm not a professional luthier (but I watch one on YT). I believe the saddle is supposed to be shorter on one side... Its a tenor, do the math. As for the action, its really easy to lower it yourself and a very good skill to have at your disposal.

UkuDude
10-06-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm not a professional luthier (but I watch one on YT). I believe the saddle is supposed to be shorter on one side... Its a tenor, do the math. As for the action, its really easy to lower it yourself and a very good skill to have at your disposal.

I don't know what to say to you Mr. Coffee. Thanks? First, it's a brand new Ukulele, why should I have to work on it to get it playable? After all, this axe is advertised with "FREE setup and action adjustement with Aquila nylgut premium ukulele strings (25.00 service FREE)" Should it not be at least playable?

Second, MGM has agreed that there is a problem...and he also said that the saddle is suppose to be shorter on one side! But the other way around! (Higher on the G, lower on the A!)

Thanks for nothing man! I came here for advice, not to be talked down to by you! I do know how to sand a bridge, and I have several other skills at my disposal. I have been a guitar player for 30+ years.

See if you can find a video on using good manners on YT. This would be a very good skill for you to have at your disposal.

HoldinCoffee
10-06-2009, 09:42 PM
da music guy is a great vendor and I'm sure he'll help you get it sorted out.

It seems I offended you and for that I sincerely apologize. Good luck with your 'uku.

Rubbertoe
10-07-2009, 01:16 PM
the bridge is uneven! Lower on the G, and rising to the A, about 1 mm difference.

Second, MGM has agreed that there is a problem...and he also said that the saddle is suppose to be shorter on one side! But the other way around! (Higher on the G, lower on the A!)

Ok, at the risk of sounding like a total knob (a luthier, I am most definitely not), couldn't you just loosen the strings and swivel the saddle 180°? That might change the slope of the saddle and lower the action at the same time.

UkuDude
10-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks to everyone for your help on this. MGM - Mike - Da Music Guy, agreed the Ukulele should get some attention. It was sent back to him, adjusted, then sent back to me. It is now a delight to play! The saddle was turned 180 degrees, and seems to have been shaved a bit.

I am very pleased. Mike covered the costs too.

Peace