PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Humidifiers

RevWill
10-04-2009, 05:41 AM
What materials have you used to make a homemade in-case humidifier?

I discovered what I think is a perfect piece. I used one of those little green plastic things that is used by florists to deliver a single flower. Drilled a few holes in it, slipped some foam in there, popped the rubber cap back on, and it will suspend in the soundhole between the C and E strings while in the case.

I also like Aldrine's Sith Lord Pez dispenser. I have a General Grievous and a Hello Kitty around here somewhere......

Steiner
10-04-2009, 06:03 AM
Prescription bottles with sponges cut into circles and holes drilled in each end. Most pharmacies will give them to you free. careful drilling though

RevWill
10-04-2009, 06:07 AM
I thought about prescription bottles. Also old 35mm film canisters.

mangorockfish
10-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Plastic travel soap dish with holes drilled in it and a sponge inside.

UkÚDan
10-04-2009, 10:56 AM
What materials have you used to make a homemade in-case humidifier?

I discovered what I think is a perfect piece. I used one of those little green plastic things that is used by florists to deliver a single flower. Drilled a few holes in it, slipped some foam in there, popped the rubber cap back on, and it will suspend in the soundhole between the C and E strings while in the case.

That's exactly what I do. I't worked perfectly for my Kumalae in the soundhole, the whole of last winter. I don't think the Herco in the small compartment in the case is enough. I only drill holes on one "side", in a row, and slip it into the soundhole between the C and E strings; it sits at an angle with the holes away from the inside of the uke (like facing up), just in case. I use green foam intented for floral arrangements... flower holders with flower arrangement stuff.....

WhenDogsSing
10-04-2009, 12:23 PM
I've used plastic snuff containers with a sponge inside and no, I don't do snuff...:eek:

DeG
10-04-2009, 12:42 PM
I use what basically is a 35mm film canister with a sponge in it. It has been a few years since I bought 35mm film, so I had to go to the craft store and buy some little containers, but they are the same size and shape as the film canisters.

RevWill
10-04-2009, 01:08 PM
I've used plastic snuff containers with a sponge inside and no, I don't do snuff...:eek:

Humidity and Wintergreen!

spots
10-04-2009, 05:42 PM
PVC pipe capped on both ends with holes drilled in the tube and filled with OASIS Floral Foam. You add water to the foam and it soaks it up.

I have a humidified reed case that uses some type of large silica granuals instead of foam. You add a bit of water to the silica granuals and they soak it up.

clayton56
10-04-2009, 11:05 PM
I have lots of these little jewel boxes, just about perfect with a small sponge inside.

camface
10-12-2009, 04:12 PM
PVC pipe capped on both ends with holes drilled in the tube and filled with OASIS Floral Foam. You add water to the foam and it soaks it up.

I have a humidified reed case that uses some type of large silica granuals instead of foam. You add a bit of water to the silica granuals and they soak it up.

What sort of dimensions of PVC pipe do you use?