Pā’ani?

SuperSecretJohn

Reaction score
Dd anyone happen go to Derick Sebastian's strumming for pā’ani workshop during the SoCalUkeFest? I missed out on that workshop. I don't even know what pā’ani is. Fill me in, please. :)

I've heard the term used when playing with some slack key guys. We'll say "pa'ani" when a break is coming up. So during the pa'ani someone will usually play an instrumnetal lead while everyone else strums the chord progression for the song. After the pa'ani you pick up with singing again.

Yes, pa'ani basically means "solo brah!". Usually the song leader will look your way and give you the "heads up" look and say "pa'ani!".

How did you insert the kahako above the "a"?

I don't think there's a keystroke for it.
In most Windows OS, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map. From there you can copy a special character and paste it. With many characters, it will tell you the keystroke on the lower right but not for this particular letter. I couldn't help you if it was a Mac for special characters.
Some people say online it's alt+133, but that looks like "à."

Last edited:
I took it and it was very helpful. He explained the fretboard in a way that it actually made sense to me. That hour workshop alone was well worth the fee for the workshops..

and yes Pa'ani is on soloing

I took it and it was very helpful. He explained the fretboard in a way that it actually made sense to me. That hour workshop alone was well worth the fee for the workshops..

and yes Pa'ani is on soloing

Ditto....that was an excellent lesson on easily finding scales in any key on the fretboard.

Kinda hard to explain..

Its about knowing the C scale and F scale and knowing how to use it to free style solos in any chord progression songs... Also about knowing the fretboard. e couldnt really cover much within an hour but it was cleared up a few confusuion that I had on solos

If the workshop said "Soloing for Pā’ani" instead of "Strumming for Pā’ani," I would've gone. Aldrine's workshop was a nice refresher, though.

I think most of the locals do know the term or phrase. I dunno if I'm right and if I'm wrong, please, braddahs, do correct me. I pronounce it pah neh and never pronounced it as spelled here; pah ahneh (pa'ani). Anyway, when blurted out, it does mean to instrumentally solo while others are strumming chords to the melody before singing resumes. It can take place several times during a mele especially when you kanikapila. I think the neat part is everyone knows when to start singing again.

This is the definition from the Nā Puke Wehewehe ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi

pā.ʻani

nvt. Play, sport, game, amusement, joke; joking, playing, amusing, playful; to play, sport. Pāʻani kinipōpō, to play ball; ballplayer. Pāʻani pepa, to play cards. Mea pāʻani, toy, plaything. Pāʻani hewa, foul. Pāʻani lapa, frolic. Cf. hoʻokani, to play music. hoʻo.pā.ʻani To make sport, cause to play, joke, playful. He mea hoʻopāʻani, a game.

Kanaka, because of the kahako over the initial "a" usually in conversation it will eat up the second "a". My pop says paani so fast you couldn't tell have 'okina. Sort of like puaa not pua'a.

See, learn something new every time. So I was kinda haf-right. Mahaloz brah!

Top Bottom