Who should I listen to?

Mopey

Reaction score
Since starting the uke a few years ago I have been on quite the musical journey and am a lot more informed about musical history than I was before.

In terms of Uke players and Uke bands I have listened to most of the obvious ones – Jake and James, Herb Ohta , Lyle Ritz, Roy Smeck, Beirut, Ukulele Ike etc

Now I seem to have come to a dead end and wonder if I can get some suggestions to get me inspired again.

What uke players would you recommend I listen to? I feel like I am probably missing out some of the current big name uke players that I just haven’t heard of yet. Also are there Uke bands out there playing contemporary music aside from Beirut?

My tastes are pretty wide ranging so I will consider any genre.

Thanks.

Since starting the uke a few years ago I have been on quite the musical journey and am a lot more informed about musical history than I was before.

In terms of Uke players and Uke bands I have listened to most of the obvious ones – Jake and James, Herb Ohta , Lyle Ritz, Roy Smeck, Beirut, Ukulele Ike etc

Now I seem to have come to a dead end and wonder if I can get some suggestions to get me inspired again.

What uke players would you recommend I listen to? I feel like I am probably missing out some of the current big name uke players that I just haven’t heard of yet. Also are there Uke bands out there playing contemporary music aside from Beirut?

Thanks.

There are a few UU members I would recommend you listen to, if you haven't already. Here's a list with a great variety of styles. But they're all must-hears!

Ken Middleton
BaronK69
Doogey9
GUGUG
unclejeff64
seeso
russbuss415
thedirtyjohnson

All are different, all make the ukulele their own.

(edit- I don't know if GUGUG is a UU member. He should be, if not!)

You say "etc", but here are some names not on your list.

Eddie Kamae
Don Baduria
You said Herb Ohta, so I'm assuming that you mean Jr. - listen to his dad: Ohta-san. If you meant Ohta-san, listen to his son (Herb Ohta Jr.)
Brittni Paiva
Byron Yasui
Benny Chong
David Kamakahi
Victoria Vox
Kimo Hussey
Abe Lagrimas Jr.

At a certain point the 'ukulele stops being a well explored instrument. Thus, we have to listen to other instruments to get ideas. Guitar is the first on the list. Here are some of the best:

Eric Johnson
Carlos Santana
Andy Summers (police)
Eric Clapton
BB King
Ledward Kaapana
Roland Cazimero

That should get you a ways down the road.

Thanks.

You don't mention aldrine. I was going to recommend some UUers but ukisociety beat me to that but DeG is another great UUer.

As I've listened to the different ukers out there I've found I really like classical music performed on the uke (and pretty much nowhere else!). Check out Gerald Ross.

Thanks for all the replies. Some names I am familiar with but lots of new ones. Looking forward to checking them all out.

Just started with the Pyles song on YouTube. That's great. One of the things I like most is to see people turning the ukulele to original material.

Last edited:
Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain
Wellington International Uke Orchestra
John King

Gotta check out these two guys on YT; Jason Arimoto and guting, nuff said! You should also check out some of the Japanese players, you'll be surprised at the caliber of their playing. Oh I forgot, Ryan Imamura, check out his cover of Bandito Tyler . . . the kid rocks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom