External Pickups for ukuleles?

Ortiz

Reaction score
Maybe someone can help?
Im planning on purchaing an external pickup transducer for my uke.
Why external? Simply because I don't want them to drill a hole on my uke specially on one of my koa uke-im just worried! And since I live in Montreal Canada, Im not sure that luthiers here are experts on koa wood...etc.;).
I have been doing some reasearch about K&K Big Shot/Dean Markley Artist pickup and Schatten Dualie pickups. Since im so new about uke pickups, I dont exactly know what to choose, which one is better...etc.
Thanks for your time!

The Dean Markley one is removable, so thats pretty nice. But I have a K&K Big Shot externally mounted on my flea and I love it. I stuck it right next to the bridge, and attacked the jack for the cable on the side of the body (that way it can still stand up on its own :D

I've used it at a few gigs indoors and out and it worked really well. Plus you can install it in like 10 minutes and it stays fuss (at both the piezo element and the jack attachment).

Hope this helps :)

I have found the Dean Markley to be clumsy at times, it likes to fall off. I have no expirence with the K&K Big Shot, but it looks to be lesss likely to fall off, and the price is alot better too.

my local guitar shop sells external ransducers for a really low price, (talking £10-£15) i havn't tried one but would sure like to know good they are. don't think you can go too wrong with somethng priced like that. i say try one at that price and then if you want to upgrade, you know what to expect

The Dean Markley one is removable, so thats pretty nice. But I have a K&K Big Shot externally mounted on my flea and I love it. I stuck it right next to the bridge, and attacked the jack for the cable on the side of the body (that way it can still stand up on its own :D

I've used it at a few gigs indoors and out and it worked really well. Plus you can install it in like 10 minutes and it stays fuss (at both the piezo element and the jack attachment).

Hope this helps :)

Hi thanks for your help! for the K&K, I have the image in my head for the little round thingy sticking close to the bridge, but how do you attached the jack on the side of the body?? do you use some kind of a tape??
thanks again.

Hi thanks for your help! for the K&K, I have the image in my head for the little round thingy sticking close to the bridge, but how do you attached the jack on the side of the body?? do you use some kind of a tape??
thanks again.

Its got a special clip around the jack with a flat part with strong double-sided tape on it to stick on the body. The piezo element has a similar double-sided tape, but tis super thin (like packaging tape). Neither budge at all.

Attachments

• 3985286106_04aae773fe_m.jpg
    3985286106_04aae773fe_m.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 3985282240_227379f74d_m.jpg
    3985282240_227379f74d_m.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 25
Got tired of my Dualie Pick-up stick-on ($65) falling on my foot while on stage, no matter what kind of goo I used. Also feared all the stories about different adhesives leaving residue on the finish. Finally had my hubby install Shadow pick-ups in my baritone and soprano. It was simple and quick, took him about an hour to do both. We used these instruction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdLUDWoh-cE
$160. for both ukes. I send my ukes through a Direct Box ($30) and into an acoustic amp. It sounds great and keeps the uke sound.

you could make that dean markley one for all of about $7..all you need is a chord, piezo and some sticky tac.

trust me, I own one and although its not bad...I could have made one it's equal in a half hour.

Yep this is true, you can make essentially exactly what both of the earlier ones mentioned are by doing this but mount it externally instead...

Its got a special clip around the jack with a flat part with strong double-sided tape on it to stick on the body. The piezo element has a similar double-sided tape, but tis super thin (like packaging tape). Neither budge at all.

Whoa cool! thanks for the pics!!! I have an idea now! Thanks for the help bro!!
cheers!

from what I've heard the dualies are some of the best

I am thinking more and more about trying out like Psesinkclee's K&K Big Shot! All tips seems to be all great though...although I don't think im ready or comfortable right now to drill a hole,sanding..etc in all of my uke's like what Salukulady said or as shown in youtube! ...

Im surprised that the Schatten Dualie pickup was a desapointment for some...(falling off while on stage!!! leaving residue on the finish(this things actually scares me about external pickups!) ;) Because I also heard that they have a wonderful sound since it has 2 instead of 1 sticky thingy...??

n-e-ways..ill keep on lookin...
Thanks again for all the help!!! :)
cheers

Last edited:
there's always the condenser mic to consider as well depending on what you do. I sit & sing so it works ideal for me. Requires no modifications to the instruments and sounds pretty dang good.

there's always the condenser mic to consider as well depending on what you do. I sit & sing so it works ideal for me. Requires no modifications to the instruments and sounds pretty dang good.
Yes, mics give you the truest uke sound too.

I thought about that as well (will be my last option ;) )...but I heard that it might do alot of feed backs specially on a big stage??

Top Bottom