Noisey Strings, Mismatched Strings...

tad

Reaction score
Okay, two more string questions:

1)
I got my new Applause in the mail a couple days ago. I love the sound, but when I move my fingers up or down the strings, it's UBER noisy. Like, when it's amped up, it's VERY audible. I have a spare set of clear Worths-- which I really love-- but I'm a bit reluctant to change it out, 'cause a) other than the noise, it's a great sound, and b) they're D'addario strings, which I was under the impression are a decent brand.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get rid of that squeaky noise when I move up and down the neck? Can one, like, wax the strings or something?

2)
I had a Republic that I think is BEAUTIFUL, but I wanted to replace the friction tuners with geared ones. Did it, it looks great. And then I went about restringing the thing. I got some Worth Browns, 'cause I was curious, and I figured the quieter/"dead" sound they're kind of notorious for would be less of a problem on a resonator.

The only problem was that two of the strings broke while I was stringing it. Twice. These are expensive strings. So I went out and got some Martin clear strings at the local guitar shop. They're nylon, and I guess nylon is a little tougher, and they worked. So then I have two Worth browns on the center strings, and clear strings on the outside.

The Worths are a little mellower and the Martins are a bit brighter. The resonator was really favoring the midrange before, and now it sounds pretty even. It looks a little goofy, but I really like the sound.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone else mixes and matches strings on a given uke for a particular effect.

Last edited:
I use a product called Finger Eaze String Lubricant. It does help reduce string noise, but doesn't totally eliminate it. You might try that.

Honestly though, I'd just slap on the Worths and see how it sounds...trying out different strings is part of the fun of buying a new uke :D, and you can always get another set of d'addarios later if you don't like it.

I use a product called Finger Eaze String Lubricant. It does help reduce string noise, but doesn't totally eliminate it. You might try that.

Honestly though, I'd just slap on the Worths and see how it sounds...trying out different strings is part of the fun of buying a new uke :D, and you can always get another set of d'addarios later if you don't like it.

I'm tempted to do that, but honestly, I'm a bit of a Worth junkie. I've got Worths on ALL of my other ukes, well, except for my 50's plastic TV Pal uke, but that's going to take some repairs before the strings matter...

I was hoping to branch out a bit, y'know?

hijack...

What size are your ukuleles? Is there anyplace around DC to get (non-soprano) strings or do you just order them online?

Two sopranos, two concerts.

So far, I've been ordering 'em online-- that's pretty much the only way to get Worths, it seems like... MGM said he has to order 'em from Japan 'cause they lost their US distributer.

For other brands, I understand that a lot of music stores'll order strings for you if they don't normally stock 'em... the ones that their distributors carry, at least... This would probably be a lot easier at a mom and pop shop than, say, Guitar Center. (I took my reso uke to GC in Fairfax, and when they inspected it at the door, the kid working said, "that sure is a funny looking guitar you've got there!")

I'm tempted to do that, but honestly, I'm a bit of a Worth junkie. I've got Worths on ALL of my other ukes, well, except for my 50's plastic TV Pal uke, but that's going to take some repairs before the strings matter...

I was hoping to branch out a bit, y'know?

I know what you mean, I'm a Worth-junkie too...I've got Brown Strongs on all my ukes (except my 8-string, using BTs). I've tried most of the other big-name strings, but there still a few that I've been meaning to try out but just can't bring myself to get away from the Worths :p

((bumping the thread, just in case people didn't see it...))

Damn, your strings broke when you put them on? That's crazy. You might call it a happy accident, though. If you like the way it sounds with mismatched strings, then that's all good, dude.

Heck, maybe it'll become your trademark.

Top Bottom