Acceptable Intonation?

existence

Reaction score
Just want to get some of your thoughts on what is acceptable intonation-wise. Here's why I ask: I just realized the other night that the C string on my Kiwaya KS-1 goes flat as you travel up the neck. By the time you're at the 12th fret octave, it's a good 30% flat. It doesn't seem to affect playability, but it still bothers me for some reason...am I expecting too much from a $200 ukulele?

I am going to order some strings and see if a string change helps. It seems odd that just that one string would be off, when the others are more-or-less spot on.

So anyways, back to the original question: what do you guys and gals consider acceptable intonation variance?

Thanks....

This kind of a problem has come up before. In my mind (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), it must be the string. I say that because if the G string is in tune, and the E string is in tune...and the frets are straight...the C string must be in tune.....right? Of course, truth be told, I'm no luthier, and frankly, not very smart...

This kind of a problem has come up before. In my mind (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), it must be the string. I say that because if the G string is in tune, and the E string is in tune...and the frets are straight...the C string must be in tune.....right? Of course, truth be told, I'm no luthier, and frankly, not very smart...

Nonsense, you're a uke player, that makes you pretty smart in my book!

I saw a similar thread in which the consensus was "it's the string." I hope that's the case, since it's an easy fix. Even if it doesn't work, the uke is still playable; the chords don't sound terribly dissonant or anything (but they don't sound perfectly in tune either.) The main reason I started this thread was to see if 30% intonation variances are common for ukes in this price range. If so, I'll just suck it up....if not, then I might have to contact the seller about an exchange....

No, that is not acceptable - 30% is a lot for any uke to be out. Boozelele may not consider himself very smart, but his logic is unshakeable. It must be the string.

Ukantor.

Top Bottom