Investing in a new uke...

Pandamonium

Reaction score
Sooo as the title says I'm investing in a new one, but I lack the experience with the types of ukes. So, I was looking for one around $200-250 and I found that Mainland tenors are around there. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to getting another uke instead? OR would saving up for an uke around $400-450 just be better? As for the higher priced ones I was thinking about maybe an applause or ovation (I don't know if those are they same or not?) OR one that I saw on another post a Kala solid acacia tenor? Just needed some experienced input, thanks!

*edit*

So I've been looking around the web and found some stuff saying the Kala solid acacia tenor in Flea's review was a limited release? Could I still get my hands on a fresh one or is it still manufactured?

Last edited:
I would go for the Kala Acacia. I also have the Applause Tenor and it is great plugged in, but very soft sounding just acoustic. The Kala's inlay and binding is just beautiful and makes me smile every time I pick it up!:D

I have not heard a mainland that didn't sound good. I don't own one but one day will. The kala acacia surprised me with its sound. It was pleasent. I'd also recommend checking out Mele ukuleles. My second favorite after koaloha. If you get a mele or mainland it will be sufficient for many years. Kinda like a takamine guitar.

I have not heard a mainland that didn't sound good. I don't own one but one day will. The kala acacia surprised me with its sound. It was pleasent. I'd also recommend checking out Mele ukuleles. My second favorite after koaloha. If you get a mele or mainland it will be sufficient for many years. Kinda like a takamine guitar.

well, if you really really really want one, I wouldnt' mind taking that new sceptre off your hands :D jk, I can't wait to hear that uke in person. We have to get together... sometime.

well, if you really really really want one, I wouldnt' mind taking that new sceptre off your hands :D jk, I can't wait to hear that uke in person. We have to get together... sometime.

I'll be up your way next weekend 14-16 for a math conference.

I posted a thread asking the same thing, mainland vs kala acacia.
the general consensus was to pick the one you think is prettier :rolleyes:

They are both great ukuleles, so I guess that's how it is

Alright, well thanks everyone! The feedback helped a lot, so I think I'm going to go with the Kala Acacia ^.^. Hopefully he'll have another one by the time I get enough money x.x...

Top Bottom