Lauren Baritone Upgrading

Rick

Reaction score
I have a Lauren Baritone ukulele, and it was my first one. It always had .. a pretty bad sound aha. Strings weren't right for it, the tuners were a little shotty (it made staying in tune much more difficult than usual) and it always just looked grimy.

I need to know! What are good quality tuners I can put on this thing so its easier to tune? And I'm pretty sure I want some Aquila Nylgut's on it. I like the punchy tone of those awesome strings :]

If anyone knows a better string type I should use that have that kind of sound, but not aquila, let me know 'cause I'm trying to fix the old girl up :]

I like D'Addarios on my baritones. For the tuners, I'd opt for Grover open geared tuners. They are a "vintage" design and work very well. I have them on a couple different ukes and they are my favorite tuners.

Is your baritone a laminate top or solid top? I prefer Aquilas on laminate top 'ukuleles like my Baritone "Doane Clone", and Mahalo pineapple but on my solid tops I like the Worth fluorocarbons. Exceptions are Worth clears low g on my Flea, and Kala Reds on my Fluke. :rolleyes:
Does your baritone have geared or friction tuners? Gotoh or Grover are both great geared tuners. I've used these inexpensive sets of friction pegs on several 'ukulele with satisfaction.
http://shop.ebay.com/bartoc_store/m...t=0&_trksid=p3911.m270.l1313&_odkw=&_osacat=0

Last edited:
I like D'Addarios on my baritones. For the tuners, I'd opt for Grover open geared tuners. They are a "vintage" design and work very well. I have them on a couple different ukes and they are my favorite tuners.
Im not so sure about D'addarios yet. I wanna give them a try much later.
Is your baritone a laminate top or solid top? I prefer Aquilas on laminate top 'ukuleles like my Baritone "Doane Clone", and Mahalo pineapple but on my solid tops I like the Worth fluorocarbons. Exceptions are Worth clears low g on my Flea, and Kala Reds on my Fluke. :rolleyes:
Does your baritone have geared or friction tuners? Gotoh or Grover are both great geared tuners. I've used these inexpensive sets of friction pegs on several 'ukulele with satisfaction.
http://shop.ebay.com/bartoc_store/m...t=0&_trksid=p3911.m270.l1313&_odkw=&_osacat=0
They're geared tuners on a laminate top. Yea, Im heading in the direction of Aquilas aha, they were my first set of strings and I just love em.

Top Bottom