Koa Fluke? go or no go

Kaneohe til the end

Reaction score
im looking into buying a new koa fluke, any suggestions?

Last edited:
How much is one like that? and what size uke are you looking at? Try and find something from musicguymic on ebay. He lives right in Kaneohe. I'm sure you can find a nice mahoganney uke or maybe even a Koa Pili Koko brand uke (acacia wood).....not unless you had your heart set ont he Fluke. I think that once you get started playing, you may find that you might want a better constructed instrument.

The Flukes and Fleas are constructed fine, and I've got a koa flea on order myself. There are some improvements in the koa line besides that solid koa top. There's the tuners, the bridge and saddle, and people that have them tend to be very happy with them.

I think it's good to have a traditional solid wood uke, but it's also ok to have some fun and have soemthing that doesn't compromise on sound while being able to go outside and play. There is a place for plastics when it comes to instruments. I wouldn't have dared march with a wooden instrument. And yet, that doesn't mean I wanted it to sound crap either.

The feel of Fluke and Fleas is great, there's more to the koa update than just the koa, I say that if you're a fan of it, then go for it.

Here's a guy on youtube with Worth strings on his koa fluke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bqhWpdMbRQ

I hear the plastic there a little, because well it is there, but I also hear a marked improvement on my Fluke.

All-in-all, it's a fine choice, it's just that there's lots of bias against it because of the looks and materials.

sounds pretty mad the youtube link.

I want to hear a flea with worth strings because i hear worths are pretty darn good, and i want a flea ukulele

Next up for my Pono will be the Low G worths. I'm happier with aquilas than I was with the koolau strings. I had worths on my Koaloha and have worths on my uke-solid concert and they really hurt my fingers. I find the aquilas sound more lively, but it's all about synergy with the specific uke.

I love fleas and flukes(I have three), but for the money you'll pay for the koa top and whatnot, I'd buy a nicer quality wooden instrument, like a Pono.

I love fleas and flukes(I have three), but for the money you'll pay for the koa top and whatnot, I'd buy a nicer quality wooden instrument, like a Pono.

That is my take on it as well. But I also know a number of people who have bought a koa Fluke and loved it. So it really all depends on what you are looking for. They are fine sounding ukuleles, no doubt about it.

Next up for my Pono will be the Low G worths. I'm happier with aquilas than I was with the koolau strings. I had worths on my Koaloha and have worths on my uke-solid concert and they really hurt my fingers. I find the aquilas sound more lively, but it's all about synergy with the specific uke.

Hi....plainsong( what's your name???...i really dont like to call people with their username...sounds funny)..anyways...i just want to tell you that i'm impressed with your posts....you know a lot about ukes, strings, etc. I find your post really helpful...actually im kinda confused and i hope you can help me...i want to to buy a fluke (not a koa)...but i want a kala too...which one is better for you??? well thanks in advance!!!!!
Ingrit

Hi....plainsong( what's your name???...i really dont like to call people with their username...sounds funny)..anyways...i just want to tell you that i'm impressed with your posts....you know a lot about ukes, strings, etc. I find your post really helpful...actually im kinda confused and i hope you can help me...i want to to buy a fluke (not a koa)...but i want a kala too...which one is better for you??? well thanks in advance!!!!!
Ingrit

My name is Kim, but I want to give a disclaimer that I am a newbie it comes to ukes. I've been playing for less than a year and am kind of "special" when it comes to string instruments. It's just that I'm not a newbie to music and I've got a degree in it 'n everything. So sometimes it's frustrating when I have the ears for a custom uke but the hands for a beginner uke. :D

But which uke is better depends on how you're going to use it, which kind of ukes you already have, and what kind of sound you're after. If you already have a solid wood uke, I see no issue with getting a Fluke. The sound is that of a proper uke, but it rings more, which is a different kind of sound and pretty cool at that. It's not a cheap sound, it's a different sound. Different but same. :) If you want a uke that's not affected by weather changes and one you're not afraid to take outside with you, and still have it sound good, the Fluke is an excellent choice.

I'd go for a Fluke over a laminate Kala, and I'd go for a solid Kala before a Fluke IF I was in the market for a traditional solid wood sound.

So it all just depends on your own needs. :)

thanks guys, i was just wondering cuz i dont have that much money to spend on a new uke and that was in my price range

Thanks Kim!!!!!!!

My name is Kim, but I want to give a disclaimer that I am a newbie it comes to ukes. I've been playing for less than a year and am kind of "special" when it comes to string instruments. It's just that I'm not a newbie to music and I've got a degree in it 'n everything. So sometimes it's frustrating when I have the ears for a custom uke but the hands for a beginner uke. :D

But which uke is better depends on how you're going to use it, which kind of ukes you already have, and what kind of sound you're after. If you already have a solid wood uke, I see no issue with getting a Fluke. The sound is that of a proper uke, but it rings more, which is a different kind of sound and pretty cool at that. It's not a cheap sound, it's a different sound. Different but same. :) If you want a uke that's not affected by weather changes and one you're not afraid to take outside with you, and still have it sound good, the Fluke is an excellent choice.

I'd go for a Fluke over a laminate Kala, and I'd go for a solid Kala before a Fluke IF I was in the market for a traditional solid wood sound.

So it all just depends on your own needs. :)

Kim...thanks a lot...now I just have to clear my mind and choose between a fluke or a kala...and my brain keep telling me (you know you want a fluke) lol..thanks for your time...i really appreciate your answer!!!!! I'm a beginner too so while I practice i keep telling myself..I CAN DO THIS!! Thanks again and see you around!!!!!!!!!!! :D

On the fluke vs Kala thing let me try to help. Flukes are fine ukuleles BUT overpriced. They sound passable and have fine intonation, but that's where it ends. The Fluke enthusiasts will mention that the plastic is durable, but the thing isn't 100% plastic so water still warps and rots it. And it doesn't sound as nice as any wood instrument. Loud, but not particularly complex sound.

Then there's the price. For a soprano flea with a plastic fretboard you're looking at like $150. With the rosewood fretboard (which you need if you want to use wound strings) and the koa soundboard the price goes up significantly. The Flea website lists the koa flea as being $350. Compare that to this uke from Kala which is solid koa and has electronics. Here is a video sample of the Kala.

Compare that to this uke from Kala which is solid koa and has electronics. Here is a video sample of the Kala.
Are you sure that is solid koa? I can't find any info either on ebay or the kala site saying it is solid. it does say solid mahogany neck. But not solid Koa anything. The reason I say this is Kala is known more as an affordable ukulele and use laminate alot. I am not knocking Kala i have a Kala mango tenor and love it, but i know mine is not solid and don't think the koa is either.

Then there's the price. For a soprano flea with a plastic fretboard you're looking at like $150. With the rosewood fretboard (which you need if you want to use wound strings) and the koa soundboard the price goes up significantly. The Flea website lists the koa flea as being $350. Compare that to this uke from Kala which is solid koa and has electronics. Here is a video sample of the Kala.

I just want to point out that the Kala is not solid koa. At the moment, there are no solid koa Kala ukes.

I do agree that Flukes/Fleas are a bit overpriced when compared with imported solid wood ukes. I guess it's worth it if you want to support U.S. made products over imports. But in and of itself, they don't stack up value-wise, especially with the rosewood fretboard option.

yeah the lowest to see a solid koa option on a uke would be like $500-600usd for the lowest $300usd would be the lowest for a solid mahogany option tenor wise tho, may be cheaper for concert.

But i really think flukes and fleas are very sturdy and you can like take these suckers everywhere. I'd buy one but the style doesnt really appeal to me, but if you like to travel quite a lot and u jus like to have the uke in hand and not in a gig pack go with the flea and fluke, it's like the main beach goers ukulele.

Top Bottom