PDA

View Full Version : Should I be like...offended?

EricStetson
10-05-2009, 05:49 PM
So apparently, last march when I had this crazy Abe Lincoln beard I was growing out for a play, one of my videos made it onto the Ukulele Hunt website in the heading "Ugly, hairy men play the ukulele too"

http://ukulelehunt.com/2009/03/21/saturday-uketube-ulgy-hairy-man-edition/

I gotta admit, I just stumbled upon it randomly tonight and it's a cute heading, but a guy has feelings, too. What if the article was like "Here's a bunch of fat chicks playing ukulele..."

It's still weird when I come across stuff on the web and all the sudden.. "Hey, that's me!" For one thing or another.

leftovermagic84
10-05-2009, 05:54 PM
I'd be slightly more concerned with this line

Id snog each and every one.

i'm just sayin...

specialmike
10-05-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't think they'd put Jason Arimoto on there under the title of ugly.. nor hairy. The guy only has hair on his head. Although I can't really judge, his face doesn't look horrible. Besides, the write said he/she would snog you, so why be worried? Even if you're ugly, even if your hairy, in the end, someone would snog you. :D

leftovermagic84
10-05-2009, 06:00 PM
another consideration is that the post contains ugly OR hairy men, and you only qualify as the latter.

DeG
10-05-2009, 06:03 PM
I think we need someone from across the pond to define "Snog" for us. At any rate, If I were grouped on a page with Jason Arimoto, James Hill, John King, and the BaronK69...they could call me whatever the heck they wanted and I'd still be smiling:)

haolejohn
10-05-2009, 06:13 PM
I wonder if I made the list? I had a pretty good beard awhile back and it is getting there again.

cornfedgroove
10-05-2009, 06:14 PM
sue them and buy another uke

Boozelele
10-05-2009, 06:41 PM
I found myself on there one time too, with a comment that was less than flattering. I posted a comment afterwards defending myself...and then after he explained that it was all in jest, I felt like a real douche. If you imagine it is one of your close friends calling you ugly or hairy or worse, and laughing...you would laugh too...or give them crap back. Go with it....besides...what Deg said is right.....look who you are paired with. :)

EricStetson
10-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks guys, I guess I feel better now. Or maybe not - if I stay emo about it I could write a song about my bitterness.

Baron K
10-05-2009, 08:38 PM
So apparently, last march when I had this crazy Abe Lincoln beard I was growing out for a play, one of my videos made it onto the Ukulele Hunt website in the heading "Ugly, hairy men play the ukulele too"

I gotta admit, I just stumbled upon it randomly tonight and it's a cute heading, but a guy has feelings, too. What if the article was like "Here's a bunch of fat chicks playing ukulele..."

Ha ha! Well, you're in good company bro! I was a bit "WTF?!" too when I saw I was labeled that way, but then decided it was all done in good humor and that the word "ugly" probably should be read as "badass"...

Baron
U.H.U (Ugly Hairy Uker)

Ahnko Honu
10-05-2009, 08:49 PM
U.H.U (Ugly Hairy Uker)

IN Hawai'i a UHU is a beautiful colorful Parrotfish. ;)
http://mauiwebdesigns.com/Images/FishPixDone/parrotfishspectacledtermale.jpg

Baron K
10-05-2009, 10:19 PM

If it grows a beard and takes up ukulele playing it can join us.

Brewerpaul
10-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Well, you ARE ugly and hairy!

JUST KIDDING!!!

That's one terrific video. I play in a little Irish band and I LOVE your style-- I haven't had the nerve to pull out a uke in the band yet (I play mostly flute,whistle and mandolin). Now I'm thinking that the uke's harplike sound would be a terrific addition. Gotta learn me a couple of Celtic tunes...
It doesn't pay to get offended by things said on the web. This was probably meant in jest but even if it was meant to offend-- who cares? There are all kinds of jerks out there. Consider the source and move on. With playing like that, you have nothing to prove to anyone.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-06-2009, 12:26 AM
go crazy, spam and hack theiur webpage... smash all their houses and car's and BURN IT ALL TO THE GROUND!!!

Pippin
10-06-2009, 12:56 AM
Well, you ARE ugly and hairy!

JUST KIDDING!!!

That's one terrific video. I play in a little Irish band and I LOVE your style-- I haven't had the nerve to pull out a uke in the band yet (I play mostly flute,whistle and mandolin). Now I'm thinking that the uke's harplike sound would be a terrific addition. Gotta learn me a couple of Celtic tunes...
It doesn't pay to get offended by things said on the web. This was probably meant in jest but even if it was meant to offend-- who cares? There are all kinds of jerks out there. Consider the source and move on. With playing like that, you have nothing to prove to anyone.

I had an Irish band for some years and I play ukulele on Irish music all the time. It is a great instrument for the task.

Captain_Lovehandles
10-06-2009, 01:10 AM
Be offended if you like, but putting yourself out on the net makes you fair game.

haolejohn
10-06-2009, 02:04 AM
go crazy, spam and hack theiur webpage... smash all their houses and car's and BURN IT ALL TO THE GROUND!!!

Hey Matt...Uhhh in America those actions are considered to be criminal...I know you live in Australia and wasn't Australlia settled as a penal colony?:) J/K your post made me laugh.

HaileISela
10-06-2009, 03:27 AM
http://mauiwebdesigns.com/Images/FishPixDone/parrotfishspectacledtermale.jpg

In Germany an Uhu is an Uhu:

http://www.hicker.de/data/media/40/virginia-uhu-ohreulen_5413.jpg

hoosierhiver
10-06-2009, 03:33 AM
You might feel worse if no one payed any attention to you and your videos.
Seems like you are in good company there,
so I wouldn't sweat it (like a lynx).

ukeshale
10-06-2009, 03:37 AM
I think we need someone from across the pond to define "Snog" for us. At any rate, If I were grouped on a page with Jason Arimoto, James Hill, John King, and the BaronK69...they could call me whatever the heck they wanted and I'd still be smiling:)

snog is a good thing :D

mailman
10-06-2009, 05:57 AM

http://ukulelehunt.com/2009/03/21/saturday-uketube-ulgy-hairy-man-edition/

It's still weird when I come across stuff on the web and all the sudden.. "Hey, that's me!" For one thing or another.

I'm guessing that now you probably know how the caveman in the TV commercials feels.... I'd go with the earlier advice, and enjoy the company you've been paired with....

GrumpyCoyote
10-06-2009, 06:11 AM
More importantly, how the heck did I not qualify? :D

seeso
10-06-2009, 08:13 AM
You just gotta understand Al's sense of humor. He's a Brit.

Thumper
10-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Hey! What about us ugly hairless ukers?

Why do the hairy people get all the attention? I demand equal ugliness rights!

Captain_Lovehandles
10-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Sounds like there needs to be a new social group for the ugly and hairy ukers.

Ahnko Honu
10-06-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm not ugly, I'm FUGLY and proud of it! ;)
http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/sites/family/img/11472_squidward.jpg

haolejohn
10-07-2009, 02:39 AM
Sounds like there needs to be a new social group for the ugly and hairy ukers.

I agree. I'll start it.

ukuleletim
10-07-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm feeling a bit left out, too. Would be an honor to be listed on that page. =)