plexiglass acoustic ukulele

MoreUke

Reaction score
Just sitting here wondering about an acoustic ukulele made from plexiglass. Not like a giant chunk of plastic that has been drilled out to take the electrical components of an electric ukulele. But instead sheets of plexiglass that are cut and molded just like a conventional wood acoustic ukulele.

Obviously it wouldn't have that warm look of wood. Wonder what a well made one would sound like?

Aloha

wouldn't that just be a tv pal or other the myriads of plastic ukes from the 50's?

Acrylics are great for electrics but are lousy for acoustic instruments because they're so dense.

Dan Armstrong and Ampeg mass-produced a Plexiglas electric guitar and bass which are available as re-issues. I've played vintage versions of both, and neither is something you can use in any sort of acoustic way because they just don't make much sound on their own.

Fender also built a one-off Lucite Stratocaster as a marketing gimmick.

I think an all-plastic uke (like a better version of the TV Pal) could be done with attention paid to materials and build. And I'd probably buy one if it was priced like fleas and flukes. I'd love an instrument you could really take to the beach.

--Mark

Last edited:
Catfish Carl's web site says this one's by Makana DeLovio:

makana_Delovio_Clear_Horizontal.jpg

pickup-2.jpg

I had been wondering/hypothesizing about the tone thing. Especially in light of an article I read in the last week or two about how some lab was able to get tonewoods sounding like stradivarius after subjecting the wood to soaking in water with some type of fungus.

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/etc/091001-fungi-infested-violin-beats-strad.html

I was wondering about thinning the top tremendously. From what I read most of the sound comes from the top. Of course then it would be an exercise in polishing the plexiglass back to it's original optical properties.

Maybe a red body with clear plexiglass top that has been thinned tremendously with fanned supports made from blue plexiglass. The neck and head being made from various colors of plexiglass laminated together.

Wooow!!...end of the story...and thread, right?! ;-)

That's too bad. I would have like to read more on his design and feedback from others.

Makana DeLovio no longer makes those.

My impression of Plexiglas is that its too soft to make a good acoustic instrument. Other plastics seem much stiffer and responsive. A Plexiglas dulcimer I made long ago was quiet and unobtrusive. I sold a few cardboard kits at the same time, and they had a lot more on the ball---louder and more vibrant. Its amazing the lengths one will go to trying to make a living at lutherie.

Thank you for the reference. That was a really interesting video!! It actually sounded pretty good. He should put them under production instead of throwing them away down the river! ;-).
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes I do agree with you. Mind you his green pineapple sounded pretty darn good...at least when plucked. Don't know about strumming.

My impression of Plexiglas is that its too soft to make a good acoustic instrument. Other plastics seem much stiffer and responsive. A Plexiglas dulcimer I made long ago was quiet and unobtrusive. I sold a few cardboard kits at the same time, and they had a lot more on the ball---louder and more vibrant. Its amazing the lengths one will go to trying to make a living at lutherie.

Top Bottom