My Guitar

UkuLeLesReggAe

Reaction score
I got my guitar about 3 weeks ago.. i suck sooooo hard, i cant get any frets and i always make some stupid noise etc...

I dont want to be using a pick either, i rather free hand it.. i dont have such a problem hitting the right string but its weird. :S

I bought it to get lessons to improve my ukulele skills due to the fact its to hard to get ukulele lessons in Sydney, but seriously, will it help?? I dont want to get hooked on the guitar though because ukulele so much better instrument IMO.

Chord shapes are similar but different for guitar and that can be a bit confusing sometimes, but I agree with davoomac... they can complement each other. I sort of assumed that most uke players know some guitar.

As for getting hooked on guitar, why not? You can be hooked on both. As for time - you have to make it, not find it. If you want to learn, you will.

I started out playing the guitar, then i stopped and started playing uke. after a few years i decided to play both so I picked up the guitar again and I was BETTER. I got better at guitar by learning the ukulele. Then later on when I learned a bunch of stuff on guitar my ukulele playing improved. They really do complement each other.

My suggestion would be to get a classical guitar (these have nylon strings). The tension is lower. The strings are comfortable to fret. The neck and string-spacing is wider so it's easier for fingerstyle.

You can buy an inexpensive Yamaha laminate-top (the C40) to try it out first. In the US, these sell for about $150 in a GigMaker package which includes a gig-bag and a tuner. The C40 (or C45 which is sold at Costco) is not as loud or as resonant as a solid-top, but it is well-made and properly intonated. It can even be improved notably with better strings.

ohhh mann its been along time since ive been here, but you sound like me when i was learning guitar, i started february so im still a newb, i was like you too i couldn't make the sound right the first couple of weeks but i still kept practicing now im better than before, then one of my friend decided to teach me (he's been playing guitar since he was a little kid so he knows what he's doing)he helped me alot, he would give me tips in music n playing the guitar, right now im learning bar chords which is really a pain in the hands, i thought i wasn't getting anywhere cuz its really hard for me but last time we practice he said that im getting better at it, imo its all in the practice, time and effort.

everyone ive asked said its easy to transition from guitar to uke, but difficult to go from uke to guitar, i think its because of the two extra strings and wider frets imo, but ive only tried guitar once. maybe ill get one this summer. uh oh, G.A.S.

I think learning the uke made guitar easier. I started with the uke and then moved onto the guitar. The chords and finger formations are very similar and the strumming didn't make much difference. Learning both are mostly advantages because if someones playing the uke, you can back them up on guitar and vice versa and I found it helped me learn things by ear faster.

Well I recently bought an e-guitar and it's tremendously funny. I had some problems for the first 2 days to adjust to the wider frets (compared to the soprano frets) but now its going quite well. Still having some problems to play with a pick (not the strumming of course) as I never used the pick for the Ukulele before.
Don't have problems with the 2 aadditional strings anyways. The biggest problem I face is that guitars and guitar gear is so mcuh more expensive than ukuleles :mad:.
A good website that really helps me learning the guitar is www.justinguitar.com

Top Bottom