KoAloha Tenor Sceptre Review

haolejohn

Reaction score
numerical rating in each category (10 is the best, 1 is bad).

Features: 10

What year was it made? Where was is made? Not sure on the year but I believe it is number 87. This as well as all sceptres was made in Hawai'i.
How many frets? 21
Solid-Top? Solid Koa Body as well as top
Any pickups or electronics? None
Body and neck woods? Koa

Finish : 10
Body style: Tenor Sceptre
Bridge style: KoAloha crown bridge. Strings go through and they are twisted and tightened upon themselves.
Tuners: Grover
Neck/Scale Tenor Koa and normal scale for a tenor.
Any included accessories? One of those styrofoam triangular shaped hard/soft bags. I think it is called a Lani Kai case. I also got an extra set of ko'olau gold strings and Kapalua strings.

Sound: 13. Is that possible? 10

How does it suit your music style? The Sceptre fits my style of music very well. i play worship music and this ukulele is filled with allegories and symbolism.
What amps and effects are you using it with? None. Doesn't need any.
Is it noisy? If you mean loud then yes. If you mean moisy in a negative way then no.
What kind of sounds can the uke make? Tghis uke has limitless possibilities when it comes to sound. i strum it and finger pick but I play rhythm mainly. I am not playing this uke up to its full potential.
Likes and dislikes? so far i like everything about the uke. The edges are a little pointy but they sit very well in my leg. It is actually more stable in a sitting position than I thought at first.

Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5

How well was the ukulele set-up at the factory? This ukulele is set-up perfectly. Not sure if it came from factory this way but I assume it did since it is a masterpiece.
Properly bookmatched top? It appears to be a solid wood piece top and back. If it is bookmatched I caqn not tell.
Properly routed bridge? I think so. Not sure what routed means but the bridge area appears to be fine.
Did the ukulele contain any flaws? I can not find any flaws with the naked eye. This was a used uke and it seems the previous owner never played it.

Reliability/Durability: 9.5

Will this ukulele withstand live playing? Yes.
Does the hardware seem like it will last? There is no hardware.
Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing? It seems translusent. It reflects the light in a magical way.
Can you depend on it? Yes. I would depend on it.
Would you use it on a gig without a backup? If I was good enough to play a gig.

Customer Support: N/A but 10 in previous dealings.

If you've dealt with the company, how helpful/friendly were they? I contacted the company on various different occasions and they have been very helpful and always seemed to have time for a customer.
Ever try and get it repaired? Nope.
Was it under warranty? Originally yes but the warranty didn't carry over to me but I am sure if I have a problem with it KoAloha will take care of me.
How long is the warranty: Lifetime better than the weather

Overall Rating: 9.9

How long have you been playing? Since 2002 but only seriously fior a year.
What other gear do you own? I own a KoAloha concert, Pono Mango 8 string, Mele solid koa, ,mele solid koa top, makala and kala soprano
Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this ukulele? Not really.
If it were stolen or lost, would you buy it again or get something else? Not sure if i would be able to afford it again and not sure how i would lose it but If I was able to I would buy it again.
What do you love about it? The sound and look of it. Also the build quality. It is the best built uke I have ever seen or held.
What do you hate? Nothing
What is your favorite feature? The crown bridge.
Did you compare it to other ukuleles? Which ones? Maybe a Pineapple Sunday
Why did you choose this one? It was my second dream ukulele. I read the story behind the Sceptre and fell in love with it.
Anything you wish it had? A magic button to make me sound good.
Anything else you'd like to share? Until you have held this uke or played it don't knock it.

Attachments

• 100_1848.jpg
    100_1848.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 100_1859.jpg
    100_1859.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 100_1863.jpg
    100_1863.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_1852.jpg
    100_1852.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 100_1862.jpg
    100_1862.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I touched thy Sceptre...

I agree with the final statement. I didnt know what to think about thye Sceptre until I played one this morning. Amazing feel, great sound and not nearly as "weird" to hold as you may think.

I also had the chance to play a Pineapple Sunday, which was awesome! :iwant: I am seriously contemplating buying it bc the price he offered it to me for is unbeatable! I had never seen anyone with a PS before I saw it today so I need to do some research here on the forums and elsewhere to gather some opinions about it. It is one of the most beautiful instruments I have ever seen and it has great sound. Not sure if it is the "perfect" sound for my style of playing but I could easily trade it back to my guy for a different uke (if I dont like, for whatever reason).

I also really liked the Kanile'a Super Concert (which I kinda feel is more suitable to my style of play, sound wise).

But back to the Sceptre, the one that I played was a black label custom, hand signed by Papa Koaloha himself. It was a beautiful piece of art with an equally amazing sound. WAY out of my price range (by about $2,000) but an amazing instrument to hold and play.

I'm so happy that you are happy with yours and can't wait to hear more about it, in the months to come. :music:

Definitely jealous. But good on you that you can own one!

great review!
when i got my sceptre, i was tempted to do a review as well. but then i realized that i was so biased towards the uke, the company, papa koaloha, etc that it wouldn't be very fair.
congrats on an awesome uke!

great review!
when i got my sceptre, i was tempted to do a review as well. but then i realized that i was so biased towards the uke, the company, papa koaloha, etc that it wouldn't be very fair.
congrats on an awesome uke!

Aren't we all?:rolleyes:

Why did you choose this one? It was my second dream ukulele. I read the story behind the Sceptre and fell in love with it.
QUOTE]

Where can one read this "story of the Sceptre"? :confused:

I'd be very interested in reading it.

Thanks,

QUOTE]

Where can one read this "story of the Sceptre"? :confused:

I'd be very interested in reading it.

Thanks,

If I'm not mistaken i read it here http://gx9901ukes.blogspot.com/ which is GX9901 blog about ukes. I then called KoAloha and got the story from Brian and then in July when i visited the factory papa KoAloha told me the story again. I'm not going to tell it to you. I'll let you discover it:)

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the article.

Wonderful information.

Mahalo,

Now, how do I get my hands on one of those Sceptres or Pineapple Sundays?
Or any KoAloha for that matter?

Attachments

• 100_1849.jpg
    100_1849.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_1850.jpg
    100_1850.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_1853.jpg
    100_1853.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_1863.jpg
    100_1863.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_1855.jpg
    100_1855.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 31
Love that crown bridge, wish my concert had that. Oh well I just count my lucky stars that I have a Sceptre. Congrats on getting one of the ukes that was on your list.

i'M NOT GOOD ENOUGH to even contemplate owning a Septre, but with those butter smooth Grovers my tenor feels a little head heavy. contemplated putting frictions on it, but then I'd have some ugly[small] holes. and the grovers are nice tuners.

Top Bottom