Ohana vs. Makai

Amnicon

Reaction score
Hi All-

I'm looking for an inexpensive uke to keep at work to help with brain-breaks.

I had decided on the Ohana SK-50WG, but then saw the Makai version of the same thing. I read mixed reviews around here about the Makai brand, with concerns for product support and overall quality. I also see the cost at 1/3 less.

What are your opinions for quality, longevity, resale, etc. between these brands?

I've got the Makai version, which has matching binding around the body. Mine sounds excellent. But I wouldn't buy one unless I could play it first.

Hi All-

I'm looking for an inexpensive uke to keep at work to help with brain-breaks.

I had decided on the Ohana SK-50WG, but then saw the Makai version of the same thing. I read mixed reviews around here about the Makai brand, with concerns for product support and overall quality. I also see the cost at 1/3 less.

What are your opinions for quality, longevity, resale, etc. between these brands?

I love my Ohana CK-25. It sounds every bit as good as a couple more expensive ukes I've purchased, and better than some.

The Sk-50WG is a really nice ukulele. The willow body is beautiful and the depth of it really gives it a big voice, even though top-to-bottom, the body seems shorter than many sopranos. I do love the willow's grain.

No access to try either of these (or anything else worth buying) before purchase. Thanks for the tips so far!

I have heard elderly sets them up good, if your going to get one online I'd go through elderly. (the makai that is. Otherwise i'd get the ohana from mgm if he has one)

You are comparing EXACT Ukuleles made in same place...No difference...only setup and price shall determine the difference

:agree: I was gonna say something to that effect.

Yan Yalego uses the OHANA SK-50WG. This is one of the instruments that he will be using as one of the two performers on Bosko and Honey's OZ Safari early in the new year.

Don't forget to enter their video contest, by the way. The entries close in just 11 days.

Top Bottom