Multi-colored

dave g

Reaction score
Someone has asked me for a uke of contrasting woods, plus I found this neat piece of walnut for the neck:

bw.jpg

The other stuff is maple :)

Very cool. Can't wait to see how it turns out! OH OH Throw some black binding around the white portion and white binding round the black !!!

Someone has asked me for a uke of contrasting woods, plus I found this neat piece of walnut for the neck:

bw.jpg

The other stuff is maple :)

Almost seems a shame to have to put a fret board on top of that neck! Is walnut dense enough to make a fret board out of?

Almost seems a shame to have to put a fret board on top of that neck! Is walnut dense enough to make a fret board out of?

I know! :)

I think it will be busy enough as is - probably go with a rosewood fretboard. And, as RonS notes, the white part is even softer than the dark, so a bit of rosewood reinforcement will be good anyway.

Would bleaching the rosewood to lighten parts to match the underlying woods reduce it's reinforcement properties? A multicolor fretboard on that beautiful neck that fit the color scheme would just be unbelievable. Awesome work, Dave...

Here it is a couple hours ago (has the first coat of lacquer on it now):

bw10.jpg

I decided to go with a sycamore bridge & fret board instead of rosewood. I think the "medium" color complements the two contrasting ones better...

This is also my first soprano in a new mold. The body is a bit bigger than the previous ones (neck joins at the 12th fret instead of the 13th - more traditional).

Ohh, that's gorgeous! I love it! That is one beautiful uke. Please keep posting pictures. :D

Here it is a couple hours ago (has the first coat of lacquer on it now):

bw10.jpg

I decided to go with a sycamore bridge & fret board instead of rosewood. I think the "medium" color complements the two contrasting ones better...

This is also my first soprano in a new mold. The body is a bit bigger than the previous ones (neck joins at the 12th fret instead of the 13th - more traditional).

WOW that looks very very nice. Makes me want my chocolate bar in my fridge now though...haha

Top Bottom