how to make a cigar box ukulele?

schubs

Reaction score
Hello, I want to make a concert size cigar box uke but i haven't ever built a cigar box uke or have any experience in wood works except for a pine wood derby car. I need help on what to do. What kind or size of cigar box should i get for a concert? Where would be a good place to get the cigar box, neck/fret board and the other materials to make it? What would be the easiest way to make one for a beginner?

Hello, I want to make a concert size cigar box uke but i haven't ever built a cigar box uke or have any experience in wood works except for a pine wood derby car. I need help on what to do. What kind or size of cigar box should i get for a concert? Where would be a good place to get the cigar box, neck/fret board and the other materials to make it? What would be the easiest way to make one for a beginner?

Here's a thread on concert size cigar box size.

The easiest way is to buy the neck, fretboard, nut, saddle and bridge from Mainland Ukulele.

Ebay always has a great selection.

ebay is a ripoff...buy a $2 and pay $8 for shipping. It dont cost $8 to ship a dumb box...they do that cuz their ebay fees are based on percentage of sale price not including shipping. They add to shipping to make an extra buck or two. I dont have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with the fact that they typically charge way more than local shop prices, and thats NOT INCLUDING SHIPPING.

classic example

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cohiba-corona-m...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item588390b152

you can walk to the store, and buy this box for $2-3 tops...here you pay about $12

Last edited:
assuming he lives near a cigar store ;)

ebay is a ripoff...buy a $2 and pay $8 for shipping. It dont cost $8 to ship a dumb box...they do that cuz their ebay fees are based on percentage of sale price not including shipping. They add to shipping to make an extra buck or two. I dont have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with the fact that they typically charge way more than local shop prices, and thats NOT INCLUDING SHIPPING.

classic example

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cohiba-corona-m...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item588390b152

you can walk to the store, and buy this box for $2-3 tops...here you pay about $12

Looks like we should start buying up cigar boxes and selling them on ebay...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and websites. I am planning on getting the bridge, neck/fretboard, and other materials at mainland ukes. I just have to find a store that sells cigar boxes or buy one off ebay.

Looks like we should start buying up cigar boxes and selling them on ebay...

if it wasnt a major pain, cigar shops would do that already lol...well, some do.

Others pawn them off for a few bucks while still some shops just toss them all out cuz they're just trash.

"Thanks for the replies and websites. I am planning on getting the bridge, neck/fretboard, and other materials at mainland ukes. I just have to find a store that sells cigar boxes or buy one off ebay"

Wait. As much as I appreciate the quality and price of Mainland's ukulele necks, before you buy one make sure that the end of the neck that you will glue to the cigar box is flat and not rounded to fit a traditional uke body. All of the pictures I've seen on the website indicate that they are rounded. It is NOT a trivial matter to sand or saw the neck flat, I speak from experience. If you have the proper tools, no problem, but if not it's difficult to get the glued end perfectly flat. It will make a difference both musically and aesthetically.

"Thanks for the replies and websites. I am planning on getting the bridge, neck/fretboard, and other materials at mainland ukes. I just have to find a store that sells cigar boxes or buy one off ebay"

Wait. As much as I appreciate the quality and price of Mainland's ukulele necks, before you buy one make sure that the end of the neck that you will glue to the cigar box is flat and not rounded to fit a traditional uke body. All of the pictures I've seen on the website indicate that they are rounded. It is NOT a trivial matter to sand or saw the neck flat, I speak from experience. If you have the proper tools, no problem, but if not it's difficult to get the glued end perfectly flat. It will make a difference both musically and aesthetically.

Thanks for the warning, but I'm not aware of any alternative source for uke necks in the three common sizes. If you are, please share the link--I'm always looking for a good deal!

Little off topic, but at first glance I thought shubs' signature was an exploding horse. Turns out, it's that white wolf from that video game.

I've tried buying the Grizzly uke kit and using the parts. The necks have that curve and the fret board is not that great. Mainland uke looks better. I've made my own using 3/4 by 3/4 basswood boards, sandwiching some mahogany. I like them, but your route is less work and will look smashing.

yeah thanks for the warning. I probably wouldn't of known that.

The butt of the neck has a curve for a uke, but I've found it pretty easy to flatten it. I put sandpaper on the edge of a table and run the butt over it, it doesn't take long to flatten it out. The inside block has a flat side and doesn't need to be sanded.

Top Bottom