Anyone built a Grizzly?

Brewerpaul

Reaction score
I have a nice Lanikai Tenor spruce top, but my only soprano is that garish green flying V that I posted elsewhere. It really doesn't play well so I'd like a CHEAP but playable soprano.
Has anyone here built the Grizzly kit? Is it even halfway decent without a lot of modding? Thanks.

Here's a link which, being on Geocities, is going to go away in the very near future, so print a copy now. He didn't build it entirely unmodified, but close, and what mods he did make were pretty easy.

I have a Grizzly but haven't put it together yet. I don't expect it'll be very good, but I think it's the sort of project I might enjoy whether or not the result is playable. If I had no interest in building and just wanted a cheap, playable soprano, I suspect I'd buy a Makala.

Last edited:
I've read various reviews. All that I've read have said its a very simple kit, however the end result doesn't sound very good.

I used a grizzly kit for parts to build a cigar box uke. So, I can't give any information about a completed kit, but I can say a few things about the components.
1. Use the strings that come with the kit for setting the action, alinging the bridge, anything except trying to make music. They are ridiculously awful.
2. The tuning pegs are usable, but not the best quality. I have to adjust them frequently.
3. Get an idea of what the action is going to be before you glue the bridge down. IMO the bridge is too thick and you'll probably want to sand a considerable amount off the bottom before gluing it in to place, otherwise you will not be able to lower the saddle enough to get the string action set properly.

I have a nice Lanikai Tenor spruce top, but my only soprano is that garish green flying V that I posted elsewhere. It really doesn't play well so I'd like a CHEAP but playable soprano.
Has anyone here built the Grizzly kit? Is it even halfway decent without a lot of modding? Thanks.

i've built a couple and they are surprisingly playable. if you place the bridge correctly, the intonation is correct all the way up the neck.

here's a video if you want to get an idea of the sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWkGY5rhz7I

that's using all the stock parts, but strung with Aquila strings.

I used a grizzly kit for parts to build a cigar box uke. So, I can't give any information about a completed kit, but I can say a few things about the components.
1. Use the strings that come with the kit for setting the action, alinging the bridge, anything except trying to make music. They are ridiculously awful.
2. The tuning pegs are usable, but not the best quality. I have to adjust them frequently.
3. Get an idea of what the action is going to be before you glue the bridge down. IMO the bridge is too thick and you'll probably want to sand a considerable amount off the bottom before gluing it in to place, otherwise you will not be able to lower the saddle enough to get the string action set properly.

i agree with all three points Mr. DeG made. the strings they come with sound like absolute crap! i used Aquila strings to get more volume out of it. the tuners are passable and work, but not great. i had to sand down both the nut and saddle to achieve decent action.

I built 2, one stock with the exception of strings and a bone saddle. The other had a solid spruce top I added. G to Stew mac and figure out the right saddle placement (If I recall it's 1/8 further south than the plan specify). The uke is really quiet (great for camping), once the saddle is placed correctly the intonation is fine.

I built a kit from Thomann, which I suspect is a rebranded Grizzly. They're easy enough to put together but mine sounds absolutely rubbish. The frets are quite high and when I play the note changes the harder I press, a bit like bending a string, and it makes the tuning unpredictable. If I adjusted the nut and saddle to lower the action it may improve but I can't be bothered to be honest as I don't think it will change enough to make it playable. I got the intonation right so I know it isn't that.
Here is a picture.

Ian.

Attachments

• Lamnky-Lele.jpg
    Lamnky-Lele.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 37
i've built a couple and they are surprisingly playable. if you place the bridge correctly, the intonation is correct all the way up the neck.

here's a video if you want to get an idea of the sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWkGY5rhz7I

that's using all the stock parts, but strung with Aquila strings.

Haha! I love that uke! Great job on the song too man. :music:

The bridgeplate was ridicoulously large and way to thick if they still make it like the ones i had. no wonder they sound horrible to me If you change and alter the top though they can be great sounding i took mine apart and the bridgeplate was half the size of the top and 1/8" PLUS THICK

I've built a couple of them and they are decent. Change the strings to Aquilla Concerts. Russ is spot on about bridge placement. It is slightly longer than the instructions, to accomodate the bow of the neck. Ric

I built a Grizzly and it was alot of fun. I inlaid a MOP star in the headstock.
I made a bone nut and saddle , and side marker on the neck. I had a great time making it and I'm going to try a Stew Mac kit soon. It doesnt have much volume but sounds pretty good. I had a great time putting it together.

Top Bottom