Hawaiian suppa man!

grappler

Reaction score
Hi all

A fellow member TerryUkes Also on youtube came down to Melbourne this week. I had the chance to catch up with him twice and during out meet up we jammed. We decided (Actually I decided) to play Hawaiian Suppa man.We obviously prepared this earlier over Skype and exchanged a few chords through emails. This song was learned all by ear & turned out pretty good.
Thanks Terry for meeting up and having so much fun. Great meeting you mate.

Check the video out here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX5l-vU2ry8

That was really cool. The picking you arranged was amazing. You did arrange it right?

I think I must be missing something here... where are the vocals? :confused: You guys looked like it was a blast tho...

Edit
I've just done an equivalency search of the gals- Brittni and Tamaine and I still cannot connect with this instrumental stuff. I guess its why I like Raiatea Helm of these three best... I find the instrumental stuff very samey - like all that old blues I play. I also find it terribly irritating those rapid pickoffs up and down the neck that form the last section of the instrumentals and the overall strumming accompanyment bland. Help me out guys - what am I missing or am I just a true, ignorant philistine that doesn't know zip about modern Hawaiian music? Don't get mw wrong, I appreciate the skill, precision and musicianship - however it all seems wedded to a single formula very much epitomised by the playing of Jake...

Last edited:
Edit
I've just done an equivalency search of the gals- Brittni and Tamaine and I still cannot connect with this instrumental stuff. I guess its why I like Raiatea Helm of these three best... I find the instrumental stuff very samey - like all that old blues I play. I also find it terribly irritating those rapid pickoffs up and down the neck that form the last section of the instrumentals and the overall strumming accompanyment bland. Help me out guys - what am I missing or am I just a true, ignorant philistine that doesn't know zip about modern Hawaiian music? Don't get mw wrong, I appreciate the skill, precision and musicianship - however it all seems wedded to a single formula very much epitomised by the playing of Jake...

Is this really necessary? Each and everyone gets to have an opinion and I can honor that, but keep it to yourself. If you think that all instrumentals are 'samey' than boy do you need to go do some more listening. In fact, I'd really recommend you go looks up some of these artists:

James Hill
Herb Ohta
Lyle Ritz
Daniel Ho
Gerald Ross
John King (RIP)

And countless more. Each one of these have a different style and flavor. In this video, these two musicians put a lot of heart and soul into their playing and it showed.

GREAT work on the video guys. I truly loved it. Keep up the awesome job.

I think I must be missing something here... where are the vocals? :confused: You guys looked like it was a blast tho...

Edit

Im flushed with sadness and feels like ive been pointed the finger and laughed at.
I really thought that Terry and I did a great Job. Cosidering i had only 12 days to learn by ear. I appreciate you opinion though. Thanks :(

Is this really necessary? Each and everyone gets to have an opinion and I can honor that, but keep it to yourself. If you think that all instrumentals are 'samey' than boy do you need to go do some more listening. In fact, I'd really recommend you go looks up some of these artists:

James Hill
Herb Ohta
Lyle Ritz
Daniel Ho
Gerald Ross
John King (RIP)

And countless more. Each one of these have a different style and flavor. In this video, these two musicians put a lot of heart and soul into their playing and it showed.

GREAT work on the video guys. I truly loved it. Keep up the awesome job.

I appreciate that Matt. You have great technique and skills. You play with passion feeling and emotions. Appreciate your kind words. Thanks to everyone.

Good Job Nam, you guys are rocking the tune.:music:

Don't get mw wrong, I appreciate the skill, precision and musicianship - however it all seems wedded to a single formula very much epitomised by the playing of Jake...

anyways, this is a Troy Fernandez arrangement, not from Jake. :nana:

Edit

It depends on your taste of music. Some people find blues bland, and others don't. I understand how you feel about music as I also find some of the modern day music repetitive and copied (listen to KRS One song title Robot and you'll laugh at today's industry) but its what the majority like to listen to. You're either gonna like it or not. However, I do suggest that you google others like Herb Ohta, Gabby Pahinui (slack key guitar), Hapa (slack key guitar), Peter Moon (the Makaha Sons band-know famous for Guava Jam and Kawika), Troy Fernandez, and listen to them in that order and it will give you a progression of how the music has changed. Hoped it helped and be a little more optimistic.

You should also search the Brothers Cazimero. They also influenced to what the Hawaiian music is today.

Also, Jake made his own rendition of this song. Couldn't find it on youtube, but if you are luck enough to own his early CD's while he was with Pure Heart, then you can hear it.

Last edited:
Thanks Nam for putting this up. I'm now at the Melbourne airport.

Also thanks to all comments here. Much appreciated.

This is the first time I played with others, and I really enjoyed the entire process.
I personally think we did a good job supporting each other.

The song is not something I usually play (and I had never heard about this song before), so it was a very new and exciting experience.
To me, by the way I was a rock fan boy thirty years ago, the song initially reminded me of rock feeling whatever it was meant to be.
So I just played like a side/rhythm guitar that adds *thickness* - that's why low-G was used.
At the same time I tried to play not to disturb Nam's solo. My role was to make his brilliant play outstanding.
(That's why my uke did not directly face to the camera.)
I temporarily added strumming with my pinkie finger running on the 1st string, and even percussion (copied the method from Ohta-san whom I really respect).
However we thought they would not necessarily add better flavours, we dropped them.

Anyway, the bottom-line is that we really enjoyed the whole process :)
I am glad to hear some liked it.

Cheers,
Terry

Top Bottom